1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A different type of coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by deep six, Dec 12, 2015.

1. deep six

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So currently they don't know Im gay(?). But the bigger issue, and something id like to tell my parents about first, is that Im atheist/agnostic. To make matters even worse is that my dad is a pastor. Were not conservative at all, were the most liberal people i know, and he isn't one of those bible thumping pastors either. He's a cultural anthropologist so he studies the cultures of biblical times to figure out what the bible meant. I love my dad to death, and Im all for the teachings of jesus and whatnot, Im a giant pacifist; many ideals in my life have been influenced by being a christian for the first 13 years of my life. I just don't like having to go to church and pretending to believe things that i don't. So like, if any of you have been through a similar experience id really like it if you could help me out or give me some tips or something.

#1 deep six, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

You could come into your dad and say "I know I don't believe in the Bible, but I know you do, so in respect of that, what do you think the Bible says about homosexuality? And how does this affect your opinion of LGBT+?"

So you're saying you respect him for being religious, so hopefully - if he listens to the one rule religion and society can agree on - he'll respect you, even if he doesn't agree with it.

3. Jase26

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Depends how strongly you feel about the whole atheist thing? I may be wrong but I'm guessing that whilst your dad would be understanding, he's human so giving his position there's a decent chance he could be upset, even if he doesn't show it.

My advice would be at the very least to wait it out a bit. There's a saying that goes 'what he doesn't know won't hurt him'. Hence if you could bite your tongue and put up with the church then try and do so. But if you absolutely cannot, try and figure out a way to break it to him gently :slight_smile:

#3 Jase26, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015