1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I to "huge" (sort of) to be gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kev0, Dec 12, 2015.

1. kev0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    After successfully coming out to a few family members and small tiny fraction friends, I am now being bombarded with the "Your gay? Not even you don't look gay" from former and new friends. It has taken such a huge toll on my social life that when someone ask me I just say "no". It feels like i'm betraying myself and being such a dishonest person...I am not to sure if its my culture, where I live, or just simply society being double standard. Many times when me and a straight guy friend start leaning into the whole "girl" situation I start feeling uneasy and just want to shout "hahaha i'm gay surprise". I did it a few times and with girltypefriends they tell me "what no way, but your so tall" and "no, look at you, your like a long haired football player".

How am I to tell these people I don't like there gender and i'm not interested in girls. I want to be upfront with more friends but fear that tell mistaken my size and height for something else. I can say to myself i'm gay and be contempt, but telling others lead them to still think i'm lying and that i'm straight. :bang: Ughhh these are times I wish I was short and small so maybe I would not have to be looked upon as a huge straight guy. Its like come on! I even have long nails and a not so deep voice and people still "What, but your so tall" and "you don't look gay". I'm just someone trying to come out to super close friends without them freaking out or getting into a head-spin just because of my size. Hopefully I can tell one of them (and they simply accept it) and then I can hug them like a big warm friendly bear (*hug*)

Any advice would be appreciated...don't know how to tell friends with out being labeled based on physical appearance.

2. Distant Echo

Ask them what they think gay looks like?
    Be yourself.

3. kev0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    True, I should ask. Honestly not even myself knows how a gay person looks like. There just all different,and vary from person to person hahaha! I would definitely ask and see what they say. Thanks!

4. ANerdWhoCares

Why do you think the gay pride flag is multicolored? I personally believe it's because gays come in many different "shades" and "colors," meaning ethnicity, religion, physical appearance, personality, you name it, there's no real "set" appearance for a gay person. Sure there are stereotypes, but those are proven wrong by hundreds of people every second. Be proud of who you are, and explain to these kinds of people that being gay means that you're attracted to guys, and that's all. It doesn't affect your interests, or your appearance. :slight_smile:

5. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well people come in all differensizes, there's no need that a tall muscular guy need be straight, or a skinny short guy be gay.
    They are surprised just because you dont fit into their preconcived gay stereotypes!
    You are tall, and I guess masculine too.
    Most people picture gay guys as feminine, expressive, sensitive, and deeply emotional but they are just stereotypes and dont matter at all.
    Above all, love yourself.

6. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Im with you on the whole tall thing, im 6ft 1 and my own best friend didnt believe me. i had to tell him about five times in the end. it seems you have to really assure them to get it across from my little experience

#6 europeanguy, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015