1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am so afraid of coming out to my best friend, help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MayaBee, Dec 13, 2015.

1. MayaBee

I came out to one friend yet. She was loving and understanding, but I knew that she was LGBT+ accepting before, because we spoke a lot about that before I came out.
    And now I really want to come out. Not to my whole class but to my other very very good friend of 8 years.
    But I am so afraid.
    She had never really participated in our discussion about LGBT, but also never said anything against it. I dont think she is homophobis, but I think its the small things that'd change.
    She wouldnt hug me that way anymore, she would look at me differently.
    I am afraid of losing a friend of 8 years, but I am also sick of lying to her.

Any advice?

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think you should tell her. Maybe not yet if you're not ready but if you don't that's always going to be hanging over your head since you don't want to lie to her, especially since she's been your friend for so long.
    I have a friend who I've had for 10 years and I was worried to come out to her. We never talked about LGBT+ stuff we've also become a lot different since we go to very different schools so I was worried what she'd think. But I'm sooo glad I came out to her. Her response wasn't quite what I was expecting, I think because it caught her off guard but overall she was super supportive about it and positive and glad I told her. I just told her I'm going out with a girl too and she's super happy for me. She's my friend and she wants me to be happy just as your friend would. Even if it's a new thing your friend needs to get used to, it's nothing you guys can't work through since you've been friends for so long. Even if it is weird at first, but she can come to see you're still the same person and nothing's really different. Just keep acting like you normally would around her, or however feels right. Maybe even tell her you don't want things to change or tell her you're still the same person and it's important to you that she knows.

Best of luck!!!