1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pressure...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nordland, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So basically i was eating dinner and there was something about gay rights on the radio and my mum just out of the blue says "You would tell me if you were gay wouldn't you, just letting you know i'm 100% ok with it" this makes me sure she knows that i am "not straight as it were. This is kind of applying moral pressure onto me as i don't seem ready to come out right now, still trying to work out the gay or bi thing. Loads of people tell me on here to "only come out when you are ready" but at the same time i don't feel like deceiving my mum any longer..... Help....:help:

#1 Nordland, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  2. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Awkward32

If you feel that she would be accepting and quite possibly suspects you are gay I would say that if she hints again or you feel like bringing it up,then simply be honest with her and tell her your not straight but still in the process of sorting it out.

At least if you "came-out" in such a way,you are still "safe" dating anyone you want without it being a shock later on,whatever your sexuality ends up being.

3. ANerdWhoCares

Take it from someone your age, and someone already out; there's never a time when you're "ready." Coming out is a lot like ripping off a band-aid; Once you know you don't need to wait any longer, you just gotta get it over with. Your mom sounds like she suspects something already, so she's trying to make you feel supported and safe. Even if you don't know what you are yet, I'm sure she'd understand if you came out as questioning bi/gay. I remember my parents and grandparents were very hurt that I thought I couldn't trust them with this, and I regret not coming out sooner... Don't make that same mistake. :/

4. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to your profile out status, you are close to coming out, so the question is... how close? Has your mum helped you move closer to coming out by telling you that she is supportive?

It's okay to be honest and say that you are not yet certain if you are bisexual or gay. One thing you can tell people, for certain, is that you are not straight. Sometimes we need to rule things out first before we can really begin to focus on who/what we are.