1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepting myself and coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BenP, Dec 16, 2015.

1. BenP

Hi everyone, I've only just joined so I'm new to all of this. I came out as gay 10 days ago. For most of my adult life I had repressed my sexuality, so much so that I avoided the possibility of having relationships with anyone - male or female. I came out after the shock and trauma of a family tragedy. I feel like I'm starting again from scratch. I feel that coming out has made me so much more confident than before. In a strange way, when I announced it to everyone it wasn't just them that I was telling, it was myself. I've been very lucky to have complete support from family and friends - despite the awkward conversation here and there. Being honest about everything has revitalized me in ways I'd never expected. I'm addressing demons from my past that needed addressing, and moving forward in positive way. Actually going through with it was the hardest thing I've ever done. But is was also the best.

Because I had repressed being gay for so long, I'm discovering so many new facets of my identity. I know that being openly gay won't always be easy, but I'd rather try and fail as myself, than fail again and again as someone else.

2. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you man! You are still young, so enjoy the real you and have fun. I hope you feel good about yourself, don't regret waiting so long the past is behind you. Good luck with the new, real you!

3. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations. I'm happy for you! :slight_smile:. What you did was really brave.

4. pasinhose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand that repression aspect so well. Ben, you are a brave and an inspiration. I don't know you but I am proud of you. I bet even with the turmoil and anxiety there is an inner peace you have not felt before.

5. BenP

Thanks Pasinhose, it really is an extraordinary experience. It's a bit hard to describe, to me it's more than just a weight off my shoulders, it's actually a new beginning. The thing that I was most terrified of in my life has now gone, and now I can dress how I want, act how I want and say what I want. That's all new to me.

6. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay for Ben! Being able to accept who you are and come out openly is a wonderful thing. It's almost never easy, and it is certainly a scary prospect.

That said, I am so so happy and proud of you! This is an amazing thing you have done. :grin: And for the times when it gets hard, we'll all be here for you!

(*hug*)

7. richrd45

Congratulation Ben!!!!... I'm sure you are gnna feel even more better as you become more and more of who you really are...
    You took a very high step, that many of us are scared to death of and some of us may not get the chance to take it, but you did it and guess what " you have just given some of us hope that, yes we can do it"

8. MetalRice

Congratulations man!

9. Bluesteel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's really awesome. (!)(!)(!)
    I'm too scared to come out at this point in my life, but I bet it feels liberating. :thumbsup:

10. 2uye1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I told to myself that the day I come out would be my second birthday. So congratulations!!! Remember this day and celebrate it every year.

11. Magenta Mucus