1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agender teen

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lacybi, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So basically I'm fifteen and agenderflux. I'm planning on coming out in the New Year, or at the very least asking everyone (again for some) to call me by my middle name. Most of the guys in my year are homophobic transphobic assholes but I'm already out to some of my friends and they took it fine so I want to tell more people.
    The thing is that my parents just think that I need to settle into my skin. I've identified as agender since August (? Either that or early September) but I'm sure that this is who I am. I bind with sports bras sometimes and wear more guyish clothing and I've been imitating little habits that guys have and it feels so right.
    Does anyone have any experience or advice with coming out in school?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

If a lot of people you know are phobic towards things, maybe don't tell them you're agenderflux but ask them to call you by the new pronouns [if you are changing them] and name.

I don't have any actual experiance, but this is the same advice I give with people who know sexuality phobic people [tell them you like women/men/non binary but don't mention the sexuality label].

Hope this helps.

3. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! Most of the people who are phobic are just idiots; my friends (even the ones I haven't told) are most likely going to be fine with me being agender. The guys (because it's always the guys, isn't it?) that will make fun of me already do that so it'll just be something different to make fun of me about but I'm used to it by now so it doesn't bother me that much any more.
    Just out of interest, what pronouns do you use? I'm not sure what ones suit me best and just kinda trying different ones at the moment. I'm contemplating ne/nem/nir/nirs/nemself but no ones going to remember them so they/them is more likely.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

I use they/them/theirs, I thought about using ne/nem/nemself but I thought I wouldn't add to the difficulty.

If this is any help, when people start asking me what I want for my birthday, I'm going to ask them if they don't buy cards that say '-daughter' or '-son' on them, and just go for '-child' or completely without relation on it.

With the guys, is there a really nice and accepting guy you know*? If so, maybe talk to him and he can lead by example for everyone else. * You don't actually need to know them personally, but by name and be able to talk to them. Also, try and get the guy alone, if you're talking about something personal that the person might make fun of, it's always better to do it alone, as then the person is not influenced by friends [this goes for male, female and non-binary].

#4 Secrets5, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  5. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well my ex-boyfriend was pretty understanding when I came out to him as panromantic ace and when I asked his opinion on trans/non-binary people he said that he thought they were weird but that he'd use their preferred pronouns, so I guess he'd be a good option especially as we're still close. I'm not sure though because I feel like I'm just dumping all my problems on him