1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

very complicated situation needs major help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by katiekat, Jan 25, 2009.

1. katiekat

i told my best friend of thirteen years last week that i was gay. i thought maybe she knew but she said she had no idea and that she understood i didn't like guys but maybe that i was just not into anyone. she was really cool with it, which was a huge relief because we live together and we're really a lot closer than friends.

our talked seemed to be going well, but then she told me that she had feelings for me and didn't want me to start dating anyone. i've never been in a relationship so this has never been a problem. i definitely have feelings for her, i just never knew if they were like that or not. she's dated before and i always got extremley jealous. she even almost married this guy, i thought i was having a nervous breakdown. one time she was away for a few weeks and i couldn't eat or do anything i missed her so much. i don't know what i thought my problem is, but i never thought i liked her like that.

when she told me she felt the same way but never thought i was interested i was so shocked, but i also felt like i had just won the lottery. like this was the best thing that could ever happen. we get along so well and do everything together, there really isn't anyone better for me, it's like my life was complete. i came out, and i didn't even ever need to worry about finding a girlfriend and going through all that because she was here with me now.

she told me she wanted to get married. i said i would like that very much, we both agreed next year would be good. to give our family and friends time and for planning.

but by that night i started freaking out about it. it's so weird because i know i want to spend the rest of my life with her, but we've been best friends for over ten years. how can i go from thinking of someone as a friend to being in a relationship with them? she seems so fine with it, it's really amazing. i've just felt sick for the entire week, like i don't know what to do now, and i'm going to screw everything up. like even when she's been holding my hand or something even a friend would normally do, i freeze up inside and panic.

has anyone here ever gone on to date or marry someone they considered a friend? will it just take time for me to get used to thinking of her "like that"? or is this impossible and something that just cannot be done. she said she thinks of herself as bisexual maybe, but she wouldn't be if it werent for me.

i know the best thing is to talk with her, and we had a very long talk over this. she says she wants to take it one day at a time and we are, but i haven't stopped feeling ill around her. i do have my own emotional problems, and heck i'm just shy and uncomfortable having never dated or been with anyone. how can i get over it? i want to be happy with her.

i really need some outside opinions, and i have no family or friends that i'd be willing to discuss this with right now.

this is a very very awkward situation. we live together...we have a house together. we may as well be married already. to make it even harder for me, she seems so fine with it.

help?

2. biisme

I would suggest bringing up marriage again. If you're this uncomfortable with everyday romantic gestures, I don't think it's good to have this day looming in your future. The fact that you have marriage already in mind means that you aren't moving slow. It's not taking it one day at a time. Don't let yourself be rushed into anything.

She seems fine? Is she fine? Have you asked her if she's nervous or if she's having any problems? Maybe she's secretly anxious as well.

Oh, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, welcome to EC!
    Secondly, I wouldn't advise rushing into anything. Don't make plans for marriage yet, because even though you've known each other so long, this relationship is a new development and it'll take some time to get used to it. Enjoy the present, and the beginning of the relationship, before focusing on the future. If you keep taking it one day at a time, I'm pretty sure you'll adjust, but because this is so new and so sudden, it's normal to feel weird about such a major change.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It seems to me like you are jumping from being good friends and roomates to life partners in a big hurry! Maybe you need to actually date first? I would slow down on the marriage plans and just go out and enjoy eachothers company. See how it goes!

5. katiekat

thanks...

well we're not planning anything. i just said if that's really how you feel and you wouldn't want me dating, then i need to know there's going to be some actual commitment. she seems fine because she's initiating the gestures. i'm sure she's nervous at least a little, but not like i am. she just seems natural able to show how she feels and knows what to do as far as anything mildly romantic, and i feel totally clueless. which is my own fault, but how do you learn?

i'm just curious if anyone has begun a relationship with a best friend they've known since they were little and if everyone goes through an adjustment of feeling weird about it. it seems logically to me that you can't just flip a switch between one and the other, so i'm thinking it might be normal. but if i'm going to keep this feeling this way, and it's not, then i want to very open with her right away.

thanks for the welcome

6. wallflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a brief relationship with someone I had been friends with for many years, and who had been in a long therm relationship up until that point. Yes, I was in love for all those years but kept quiet and just waited. Then they broke up and he came to me. I had been thinking of him for all those years, hoping he's be mine, but once I got with him it just didn't feel right. I left him after about one month. We drifted apart as friends and didn't have any contact for years and then made up. Still great friends to this day. Sometimes friends are meant to be just friends but maybe it can work for some people too. Try to relax about the whole thing and feel deep down inside you what you REALLY want out of this. You might very well have won the lottery - who knows?

7. HeronsStorm

Woah, woah, woah, have you two even DATED yet?! It's a little early to be planning marriage. Even if you guys have known each other for ten years this is an ENTIRELY new relationship. Wallflower is right, sometimes friends are supposed to be just friends, but you'll have a little trouble changing your mind if it doesn't work out when your married. You need to slow down and get the full dating experience first, with her if you want.

As for getting together with a friend, na, I've never had that problem. It would feel a little awkward for me, but I'm an awkward person, so...

8. Cheese Love

In one night, my BEST FRIEND in the entire world of six years and I ended up in a relationship. Well, we confirmed it the next morning. The day before, we were just friends, hadn't spoken about dating or realized we both liked eachother at all.

She was the one who wanted a relationship with me, and like you, the idea made me sick for a few days after I said yes. We'd never done anything remotely close to a relationship or dating before that. I was afraid I'd mess it up, too.

Yeah, and I definitely felt weird about it as well. This is all still recent to me, so feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk or vent about it.

We've been dating for about three months and we both adjusted pretty well :]
    When you're around someone you like so much it becomes easier.

I guess the only problem I'm having with it right now is being in relationship limbo... You're best friends, but if you date eachother you're more than that and you *need* to treat it so. I'm still working on that one.

I hope this works out for you! :slight_smile:

9. katiekat

I'd like to PM you, thank you! :slight_smile:

10. katiekat

I tried to PM you, but I guess regular members can't. Do you have an email address you could give out?

11. Cheese Love

It's against the rules to post it in a public area :frowning2:
    And I can't PM you either.
    Sorry... this kind of stinks :/

You should try applying to become a full member.

12. katiekat

oh sorry! i didn't know.

do you mind if we talk a bit here without going into details? And I'll apply for full membership

if so I am so relieved to talk to you and here that it worked out. :slight_smile: mostly I was wondering what kind of feelings you had at first and if you were as nervous and scared as i am.

13. Cheese Love

Sure anything to help you out :slight_smile:

Well first, I blamed my attraction on the fact that she was a girl. I thought maybe I just found her cute or something because I'm gay.
    After I ditched that idea, I thought we were just really close friends and that's why I was confused. It was soo hard to accept that I liked her, because she's so perfect I thought I had no chance at all.

But she had been dropping hints at me for awhile that she liked me... Once I started to realize I liked her more and more it got scary. I remember once we were in my basement looking at some old picture book and she moved down the couch next to me and practically sat on my lap and I sat there dumbfounded for about a minute, thinking about how badly I wanted to kiss her.
    I should have known she was trying to put the moves on me lol! Still, I was still too freaked out to realize it.

It was really hard when we first started dating because we'd only spoken about it when we were high or online. I remember the first time I was alone with her I was seriously like, "Oh my god what now?" We were watching Austin Powers and it was practically the end of the movie before I finally grabbed her hand, haha.

So yes, I was very scared. Partly because it was a new relationship, actually.. My FIRST relationship, but mostly because she's my best friend and I was worried that I'd mess that up.

It took us about a month to even kiss eachother. But that's just it- you need time to ease into it. When we first decided to date if she suddenly tried to make out with me I'm pretty sure I would have fled the room or told her we shouldn't date.

It's normal to be nervous and scared.. especially about dating your best friend.
    But if it works out, the result is amazing. Because we were so close before, there's nobody I trust more or feel more comfortable with.

14. katiekat

thank you for the advice.

it sure is strange because I never really thought about her that way. we met when we were so young and we met as friends......so friends is just what I always thought. this is my first relationship, and i don't even know the difference between feeling butterflies and just feeling scared. :help:

even when she's not around I'm freaking out about this major change and I'm worried. we talked more about it yesterday and i told her how i'm freaking out. and she said now she's a little worried that i'm feeling this way. so i guess that means she really cares.

i think i must have always liked her because of the way i would get jealous, but because she was a friend and off limits i never really thought about my feelings. it's soooo hard. when and what made you start seeing her differently?

15. Cheese Love

If you're comfortable saying, how old are you guys?
    I think you might be feeling a little of both. Recently all of the fear I had went away. I eventually had to trust my friend/girlfriend and go with the flow. I honestly think that if we ever didn't work out, we'd still be best friends.

If you feel that way about this girl... it's normal to worry but don't let it stop you! Just take things slow and try to ease into it :]

Anyway... When and what.. That's a hard question. There have been "instances" when I had a little bit of a crush on her, and I remember having a crush on her in jr. high, but I guess I actually started to like her-like her when school started this year.

As we got older and got closer, I just started to see her that way.. which scared me. First, I thought she would never be into me. But her also being gay was a problem because I felt like I didn't have any excuses left :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The way she acted towards me definitely made a difference..(because she liked me) or I should say, it made me realize it. I do think I've always liked her though, and I've had a few people tell me they could tell I did.

She told me she dropped so many hints that she liked me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I guess an example.. We went on this haunted trail right that had some hanuted house after the forest/hay ride portion. We were stumbling through this house and she was scared shitless and said, "I don't mean to creep you out but will you hold my hand?" or something like that. Just feeling that and being close to her, I guess, definitely made me see it more.

Also whenever I was alone with her. It just started to become really apparent at the beginning of the year.

16. katiekat

we're in our early 20s. neither one of us has much dating experience, but my friend did have sex with that boy she ran off to florida for, and I imagine they did other things as well.

i'm wondering if this entire time I was in deep denial about liking her. i never thought it was possible, and just me personally I tend not to consider things that are impossible and be happy with what i have or what i think i can get. it makes me happy to not constantly be wanting impossible things, but i wonder if that's what I did with her. there's songs and things that remind me of her that are definitely not friendship type things. i'm also not a very sexual person, so for me this as about as good as it can get anyway.

did you ever feel denial like that? we were also only 10 or so when we first met, and i didn't have feelings for anyone lol ...i think that has contributed a lot to feeling like this. it's very confusing, she's my best and only friend in the world.

17. Cheese Love

That's very possible, I did something similar. I never thought that dating my friend was an option because I always ruled it out with someodd excuse.

Do you think you're going to pursue this?

18. katiekat

Yeah....we're trying.

i still feel very uncomfortable and anxious, but I don't see how there's any way that I couldn't be.

19. Cheese Love

I freaked out a little bit too.

Even though I so badly wanted to crawl back in my shell and say no, I said yes and I've never regretted that. I'm so glad I gave it a chance, because I'm so happy right now and I almost let it pass me by.

20. katiekat

wow that is so awesome, and so what I wanted to hear (which should be a huge hint right there in the right direction)

i keep freaking out that I'm going to freak out and say no...and it's a relief to hear that you felt the same way. I hope I don't do that, and I am giving this a chance, it feels so weird right now, and I haven't been eating much. i think I've learned now that whenever I'm stressing majorly i can't eat, which is kind of a pain.