1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is that final push to actually come out to someone so hard?!?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Erzulie, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Erzulie

I almost came out to one of my best friends today while we were video chatting. But I started to feel panic-attack symptoms as I was trying to work up the courage to tell her, so I decided against it. When I get panic attacks (which is not often) I start to feel dizzy/light headed, and i start having trouble breathing normally, and if it's really bad I start to physically shake with anxiety/nervousness/whatever the hell makes people shake when their emotions are going crazy.

I don't open up or make myself vulnerable very often, and if something's wrong my friends pretty much have to "Heimlich" it out of me, so I guess it makes sense with this as well. I'm thinking of writing her a letter instead, but I'm so afraid that I won't know what to do after when she comes to talk to me about it. I feel like I'll just end up having a panic attack then instead. :frowning2: Will I ever not feel panic attack symptoms when I'm trying to come out??????

2. alienatedapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not sure. I, also, get panic attacks and have trouble talking about my feelings. The first time I came out, and it wasn't even in person, I was shaking/hyper ventilating/ all that stuff. But once I did it- that all went away pretty quickly. For me, what causes a panic attack is usually something that I actually don't have to worry about at all. What really helped me was, I was ready, and determined. I got it over with I guess. In other words, I did it before I really could think through and it turned out fine! As long as your friend is accepting, I would totally just go for it. Don't hold yourself back, but also don't force yourself to come out. Good luck!

3. Dapat

Dapat Guest

The way I overcame this was to spontaneously come out before my brain had a chance to register what I was actually doing.

Though... The person I told is bisexual so it's obviously easier to tell them, though the trick is still the same.

If you want to come out and are ready, though have anxiety problems or something like me, that's what I suggest.

4. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love your idea of writing a letter. Even if you never send it, I think seeing your own words on paper will actually be a great confidence builder. And, it sounds to me that confidence is what you so need right now. Convincing yourself is the only way to convince others. A true friend, I think, would also appreciate getting a hand written letter. Not a text or email. But hand written. A letter that took time to compose. Hand written is also extremely personal. You're saying how important this is to you. It is private between you and her. No one else is copied. Write it. Then put it under your pillow. Look at it in a day or two. Then decide. I hope you do send it. You may then opt to tell her in person. Or decide you don't necessarily need her approval. {Which by the way you don't need} If she is a true friend she will be support you. It will also give her time to ponder your words before reacting. I wish you well.

#4 Patagonia, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  5. Erzulie

Thanks for your replies guys. I just wrote her the letter (Patagonia I'll definitely hand write the one I give her). Would you guys mind reading it? There'll be some things that won't make sense b/c we grew up together but some feedback would be great!

6. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's just a matter of leaping before you see how far away the other side is.

7. alienatedapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would love to read it!!
    I'm really proud of you (*hug*)
    And I hope you have the courage to send it !

8. alli o

alli o Guest

I cant give you advice because THIS IS ME IN 2 PARAGRAPHS!

9. Outboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me its the straight environment I live in. I have always thought of what would happen if I came out. Dont forget though everyone and every situation is different. If you can possibly consult a medical professional about your panic attacks.