1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know if this is the right time...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NotKnowing, Dec 18, 2015.

1. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Okay. So I'm a transguy. I've told my bestfriends, but have yet failed to tell any of my family.
    Next summer I'm planning on doing an exchange for 7 months to England.

The problem is, that I really want to take testesteron. I think I could only build up the courage to talk to my family if I knew that afterwards I'd get to go to therapy andeventually get t.. But even if I came out right now, I probably wouldn't be able to get t until after my exchange so in about 15 months or something.
    Also I don't know if my host family would be accepting at all (even if I wasn't on t yet.)
    So I don't know if it's the right time for both of these...
    But then I also think maybe I could use my exchange to start new as my "new" self ?
    I think I tend to do the exchange some other time although I am really looking forward to it..
    But I also don't want to stay here with all these transphobic a**holes.

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try contacting your nearest trans* support service. They are a great resource, and will provide a listening ear.
    Check out the gender identity thread on this site.
    Wishing you all the best!

#2 YermanTom, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  3. CapColors

Echoing what YermanTom said.

Trust your own judgement about when is right for you.

I would probably wait until after going abroad unless you are suffering dysphoria or depression related to your gender, which will interfere with your good time. Going abroad for a long period of time may be a once in a lifetime experience.

However, I'm not trans so I don't know how intense the process is.

#3 CapColors, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was mentioned above, it would be a good idea for you to seek out some support, either by joining a support group or perhaps speaking with a counselor who can start providing you with some feedback on going forward. Having support around you, will make the process and experience 'easier.'

As CapColors mentioned, it would be good for you to have the exchange experience. The question I would have, would coming out to your host family make a difference to the exchange experience?

If you are questioning whether it is the right time, it might be worthwhile to hold off and follow your instincts.