1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I "prove" it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by InsertValidName, Dec 18, 2015.

1. InsertValidName

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know at some point I'm going to have to tell my parents, or they'll find out, but one of my main fears is I won't be taken seriously.
    I have friends all over the gender and sexuality spectra and my parents know this, but don't understand it all. Like, they think that some of them are labelling themselves too early or making a big fuss for attention (that kinda thing, idk how to describe it exactly). I've always been interested in guys and I know I have. I don't want to be seen as attention-seeking or labelling myself too early or anything like that, I'd hate to be seen as anything like that.
    So I guess my question is whether there are any ways of proving it to them and being taken seriously? Or is me being closeted for so long and hiding my boyfriend from everyone enough?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't prove it. You come out to be honest with yourself and everybody else. With time they'll see it's not for attention. All I can say is put up with them for now, but stand your ground, and eventually they'll understand (hopefully).

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When one of my friends didn't believe me I offered to show him my internet history. Highly effective

4. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think you'll be seen as attention seeking, it's the people who are bisexual that have to deal with that stereotype. I know I certainly have when I came out as bisexual, but right now I can clearly see that it is much more complicated than simply that. However, when I came out as bisexual people did eventually believe me...... and I think that my parents have come to accept it, at least for the most part. You won't have that problem though, because when you come out as gay people will always believe it and take it seriously since there is no flexibility in it.

5. thatchickcj

Boo, my parents are the same way!

Part of the reason I haven't come out to them when I was questioning was because I was "too young to understand that part of myself yet". (I started Q'ing about a year and a half ago, and I've recently put two and two together).

Although its usually my sisters peers (she's four years younger than me) that they're referring when they talk about younger kids come out, It still makes me feel a little skeptical about coming out.

Definitely save coming out for when you're ready! Don't fall under the pressure of proving you are gay. If you truly feel like you are ready to hop outta that closet, go for it! When you're ready, it shouldn't be hard to express why you feel the way you do. (However, it might also be a good idea to be a little cautious when that day arises, for some parents it takes some time to adjust to the news.)

As for me, I've sort of started writing my own coming out letter and I plan to give it to my parents/read it off/summarize it when I do feel ready like the moment is right.

6. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe the same way I'm planning to come out... When you get a bf, just bring him home as you would with a gf.
    To see you with a guy might be the most efficient way.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

8. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    How exactly are you supposed to show your internet history to your parents ?

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before you come out to your parents sit down and think about the questions they might ask and work out your answers. If you can respond confidently to their questions and concerns, without getting upset or arguing it will demonstrate that you have really thought about it and it's not just a passing fad or phase that you will grow out of. The very worst thing you can do is to get into a confrontation about it -- if you start shouting or crying they are more likely to believe you are not happy about your sexuality and it will lead to further entrenchment on their part, so don't give them an excuse by coming out unprepared/in haste.

I notice you are in the UK, so before you even think about speaking to your parents check out this link: Home
    FFLAG is a good website for parents/family members to visit (so keep it in mind when you come out to them). Also, check out the book list under FFLAG's resources tab and maybe buy one of the recommended reads for them.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh god, not all of it :lol:

You don't have to prove anything to anyone, and you can't control other people's heads or thoughts.

I think the moment they see you with your boyfriend saying 'Mom, Dad, this is my boyfriend' , it'll be clear, and if not it's their denial.

The resources Patrick gave you are good, check them out, they might help them.

#10 Michael, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2015
  11. InsertValidName

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you all for your advice, it's really helpful for me to think about ^_^
    I'm still really uncomfortable with liking guys and introducing my boyfriend won't happen for quite some time, but I really appreciate you all answering me and being so nice ^_^