1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to Come Out to Parents/At School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Isarene, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Isarene

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi everyone!

Just a little background knowledge about me: I'm a teen lesbian who grew up in a household with catholic parents. Ive known I was "different" since a very young age, and I had a very heavy period of denial for a while, but I've been feeling more at ease with the fact I'm queer since then. :grin:

I've been wanting to come out to my parents and I know I'll have to someday, but I'm worried that because of their religion they really won't be able to accept the fact I like girls.

Also, at school I've been wondering if I should come out as well. I've been hiding for a long time, but at school people would probably judge very harshly. :icon_sad::icon_sad: Do any of you have a personal experience where you came out during your school years?

Thanks everyone!

2. foxer

"did everyone see that because i will not be doing it again"

3. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!
    If you think people will judge harshly at your school you could maybe just tell your friends, I didn't really come out to my friends (only a few know) they just kind of figured it out (by stalking instagram) but they took it really well, and weren't mean or weird about it. But if you think some people in your school will be fine with it just tell them
    As for telling your parents and being worried about them not accepting the fact that you like girls you could see what they're reaction is to things in the media (eg. Gay marriage not being legal (not in Australia anyway) just say something supporting the issue and see how they respond whether they have a negative or positive idea about gay people, that can help decide if you really want to tell them or think you should wait) even though they are religious they might even surprise you and be super accepting when you tell them (because after all you are they're daughter) Good luck with everything and let us know if you decide to tell them and how it went!

4. foxer

Ok I have no idea how that ^ ended here :shrug: Compleaditly wrong forum area. Sorry :icon_sad:

I think I answered this one but not like that. Could two posts change spaces?
    Anyway weird. Sorry.

5. GayPugs

I'm homeschooled. No help here, sorry. But, for parents, just tell them. Maybe make a game of it?