1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out before Christmas

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DemiLiHue, Dec 21, 2015.

1. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I've been closeted for like some (months, I think) and I don't really experienced this need to come out. I'm out to my BFF T, my other two best friends Nanda and Sofia, and like, that's it.
    My gender dysphoria now it's quite low (it was like extremely high some weeks ago) but gets higher when I hang out outdoors (with people)
    My dysphoria bases in how people see me (when I was in school every day I went home and cried silently, blinded my chest with a couple of small sport bras, etc)my parents are divorced and this year I will spend Xmas with my dad, stepmom and little sibling (2 y.o.)
    so now I realized that I will feel really dysphoric if I don't come out before Christmas!! I'm going Wednesday and the whole Christmas week. I think I'm gonna come out to my dad and let my dad tell my step mom (she wasn't so familiar to me, after all) and I'm like super exited and anxious and stuff. Do you think it's a good idea? I think I will try to start sendingnotes, he's normally studying in the table so I will go there at the table and start drawing. And then send my dad a note attached to a pen saying "dad" and then he'll say something like "what?" And then I'll say like "hey dad I have something to tell you" then he'll ask and I'll write "I'm transgender" and then explain it to him. Otherwise if he doesn't sit at the table I will wait until we are alone to tell him that I'm genderqueer, etc.

Plz advice? Thanks!

2. Magenta Mucus

Maybe we should come out together then!

3. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need heeeeelpOr support

4. FootballFan101

Maybe you should wait until after New Years to come out as it might add pressure to your family who would be busy for Christmas

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless it's absolutely essential, I would advise waiting until after the holidays. The build up to Christmas is a stressful time and when the day arrives most people want to relax and unwind and maintain a happy, pleasant atmosphere. If you introduce a subject that may cause conflict and upset the family at Christmas it will be very painful.

Even if your Dad and Step-mom are very tolerant and accepting people, it's still not a good time to come out. We should always aim to come out at a fairly neutral time when people are not celebrating and stress levels are quite low.

Christmas is a difficult time for lots of LGBT people, but coming out at Christmas can actually make a difficult time so much worse. Please think about it carefully.