1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

somewhat came out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ECMember, Dec 21, 2015.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had somewhat came out to my mom about a month ago that I was bi curious. I had told her I had feelings for a while for a couple of years for guys but I did like girls. She had asked me flat out if I was gay. Or did I like boys or girls or both. I just said to her, "I'm mostly straight."

I had just explained to her, this isn't 1950 and things are different in this day and age. I don't see myself as gay but I don't see myself as 100% macho straight. There was a period I did myself as this big macho 100% "Bro, I need to tap that chick and chick and they are hot" kind of guy. I just overlooked some parts of my life that I had some brief sexual feelings mixed in with emotional and platonic feelings towards close male friends.

And returning back to my mom. She's 60 years old and she was just raised in a conservative household in the 1950s-1960s. Mexican American and the Catholic upbringing in the 1950s-1960s in South Texas, homosexuality was taboo. But my mom isn't a homophobic woman, she does talk to gay and lesbian people in her life and everything. I think her upbringing she had is a factor.

I told her because I thought she understand(she's my mom, duh :dry

I didn't tell my dad because he's a bit less open minded than my mind. He's 63, and he really wants me to be this masculine macho guy. If I told my dad that I was bi curious, he would assume that I'm "gay" or a "faggot. And my dad did grow up in that 1950s-1960s conservative Mexican American family life. So I can see that as a factor as well.

I mean he asks at times, when I'm going to bring a woman home and everything. And that has stuck with me at times, and I've felt to try too hard at times to lose my virginity and I still haven't. I have told him there were times in my life I had sex.

The stuff with my mom, I had reached some understanding with her. I just told her basically, that I'm just going to get with someone that I like and they like me.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Hey that's great about coming out to your mom!

I'm sorry your dad's that way. Are you living with your parents? If you are, you may want to wait to come out to him if you think him knowing would make life difficult for you until you move out. You want to be safe.

If you're going to tell him, you could ask your mom for advice on how to tell him. Make sure you do it in a setting that will allow you to stay safe if you think he'll react harshly or may harm you. It's possible that he could change his views given time, but it doesn't seem like he'll react well. If later on you want to show him this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY
    that could help if he wants to watch it. It's a video of a talk about the Bible and homosexuality (if your dad is Christian).

I'm sorry if this wasn't much help, but best of luck. It's admirable that despite the way your parents are you were still able to accept this in yourself and that's something to be proud of.

3. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My dad isn't really religious leaning. More agnostic. My mom is somewhat religious. My parents occasionally go to church. But they aren't hyper conservative. I mean they aren't like the Westboro Baptist Church.

It's more of a conservative upbringing from the 1950s-1960s from a Mexican American family/household. Back then, homosexuality/LGBT was taboo. I'm unsure if your Hispanic or Latina or what, but if you had friends that were Hispanic that might say the same point as me.

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2015 at 08:11 PM ----------

And I don't consider myself homosexual just "bi curious." And no, my parents aren't going to beat me or anything.