1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out, but not face-to-face.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silent symphony, Dec 21, 2015.

1. silent symphony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Having only come out to my parents in-person, I am wondering about coming out in another form of communication (phone, text, etc.). Who has come out by means other than face-to-face communication, and did it go over well?

Specifically for those of you with more complex identities that require a bit of explanation, have you ever come out by means of text or phone conversation, and did these conversations turn out as you had hoped, or would it have been a better idea to wait until you could sit down and explain things?

2. notoriousBIGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not too complex but I came out to a few left-leaning friends over facebook and it went well. Didn't take much explaining, although looking back I would have done it in person instead. That's just me.

3. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Other than face-to-face, a hand written letter. Electronic messaging of any sort seems just too impersonal for such important news. I have not done this over the phoneand would probably try to avoid it. What I would not try to do with any form of communication is to have some expectation of immediate acceptance. It's an opportunity to let the other person know, but understand that they may need some time to absorb it all. For me, I think receiving a handwritten letter is so rare these days, that it really means something when someone takes the time to do it. (No, I don't work for the Post Office. ) Good luck. (Another idea? Write this letter to yourself first. It is amazing how seeing your own words on paper can make you feel so good about yourself and boost your confidence to share your joy with others.)

4. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my best friend via email, another friend (as ace only) via text and my parents with a hand written letter. My friends were okay with it and my parents were kind of meh. They said that they will love me no matter what but they also said that I need to settle into my skin. Thanks guys that really boosted my confidence.

5. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my parents via email, because if we need to talk about something important, email is just what we do. I wrote it all out like a letter and it went pretty well.