1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13 and trans, advice on coming out??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LeonTheKid, Dec 22, 2015.

1. LeonTheKid

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi
    By the title you've probably figured out im 13 years old and wanting to come out as a transgender (ftm).
    I've already come out to a few of my very close friends a few months ago and they've been very supportive of me but im intensely anxious to come out to my family, reason being im too afraid they wont take me seriously due to my age. I wan't to come out as soon as possible because I want to start wearing boy clothes and I want to be called by my correct pronouns, It makes me sick to the stomach when people address me as a woman and I just want to scream-'I'm not a girl!'
    I felt a sort of jealousy towards boys for as long as I can remember. I desperately wanted to be born a boy. I wanted to wear boy clothes and have a deep voice, I wanted to be everything a boy was really...I knew what transgender was and I hated myself for wanting to be a boy, only because I thought it was a taboo subject. I was disgusted with myself and started to wear dresses and skirts, even if it made me intensely uncomfortable.
    I don't remember when and where but I do remember seeing a transgender woman, who showed pride in who she was and that inspired me to be who I felt I was inside-A boy.

Though my mother was against it at first, she let me cut my hair, and for the first time in a long time, I felt like myself.I did my research and started binding with sports bras. Teachers at my school would mistake me for a boy and it brought a huge sense of happiness. Thats when I realised I began to embrace the fact I was transgender.
    I've tried to come out to my mother on multiple occasions, only to be overwhelmed by my emotions and breaking down before I got the chance to tell her. I have a baby brother so she's always occupied with him and is very rarely alone. My family isn't religious and supports LGB but not T. I have once blurted out that im not a girl and my mother told me I was being silly. My grandparents don't believe in being transgender and my step-father is like my mother. I'm lost on how to tell them, which is why im putting my hope into this website.

I appreciate any help you can give, Thank you~~
    -Leon

2. SirceTR

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I came out to my mother as transgender and I'm also 13. She was SO accepting. If they don't take you seriously, tell them that even if it IS a "phase" or hormones, it's how you really feel and it's how you'd be happy and comfortable. It doesn't matter if they are real feelings or not, it's how you want to live your life. Also, make sure you're ready to come out.

Just tell them something like:
    "Hey I feel like a boy more than a girl. I want to live my life as a boy and have a boy name, pronouns and clothes."

See what they say, that's all I said and my mother just said "Ok, cool" And she calls me by my preferred name, pronouns and even buys be boy's clothing. But one thing I will say is, don't pressure yourself into coming out, make sure you're comfortable with yourself and then do it.

Also, when I told my mother that I was pan and trans, she came out to me to! As bi. So that was cool :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Basically I'm just saying to just do it when you're comfortable, my mother already figured it out because of my hair and clothes so it wasn't a surprise when I told her.

Good luck! I hope this helped :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. SirceTR

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I came out to my mother as transgender and I'm also 13. She was SO accepting. If they don't take you seriously, tell them that even if it IS a "phase" or hormones, it's how you really feel and it's how you'd be happy and comfortable. It doesn't matter if they are real feelings or not, it's how you want to live your life. Also, make sure you're ready to come out.

Just tell them something like:
    "Hey I feel like a boy more than a girl. I want to live my life as a boy and have a boy name, pronouns and clothes."

See what they say, that's all I said and my mother just said "Ok, cool" And she calls me by my preferred name, pronouns and even buys be boy's clothing. But one thing I will say is, don't pressure yourself into coming out, make sure you're comfortable with yourself and then do it.

Also, when I told my mother that I was pan and trans, she came out to me to! As bi. So that was cool :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Basically I'm just saying to just do it when you're comfortable, my mother already figured it out because of my hair and clothes so it wasn't a surprise when I told her.

Good luck! I hope this helped :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. SirceTR

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry Idk why it posted twice :/ glitch :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone