1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I do the right thing to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by slowimplosion, Dec 22, 2015.

1. slowimplosion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm from the Philippines. Some would say that our country is now accepting of the gays, but in my honest opinion we still have a long way to go. Catholicism here is very powerful to the point that it can even influence the decisions of our government. It's fucked up considering that the State should be separated from the Church.

Coming to terms with the fact that I'm gay was very difficult for me. It was just recently (before turning 20) that I have accepted and stopped hating this part of me. I tried changing it, but that has only depressed me. I've been feeling the urge to just tell somebody this and what I have felt for a very long time.

I came out to one of my closest friends and she has been very accepting and open-minded. And then I came out to my sister who I had been suspecting to be lesbian but then she told me that she is bisexual because she is attracted to guys as well although she's never dated a guy before. She told me that it's okay as long as I won't have a boyfriend in the meantime because HIV is still prevalent. She also told me that these feelings and views might change as I grow older. Her response surprised me a little bit because I thought she would go, "I know what you feel. Go get your guy." Lol. But she accepts me and promised to keep it a secret from our parents, so I guess that's great.

So did I do the right thing? And is it true that there's a possibility that I might fall in love with the right woman? I have no physical nor sexual attraction to girls ever since I was young.

#1 slowimplosion, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  2. FootballFan101

I think you did do the right thing, you picked out who you knew would be accepting and now you have allies

3. silent symphony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you feel that being out and having support of those around you will help you, if course you did the right thing! I knew that my parents would be supportive of whatever I was, so I came out to them only a few days after figuring this out for myself. I don't know how I could have kept that bottled up. As an only child, I have always sought guidance from my parents, and so it was comforting once I explained myself to them and they understood me.

It's always good to have someone to talk to.

4. slowimplosion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks. I always wanted acceptance, both from myself and (even if just partially) the people around me. I'm afraid my whole family and relatives are not ready for this. It's hard when the people around me are so strict on following the long-standing culture and traditions, and that if I don't adhere to these things I would be immoral.

I just want to move out after I finish my studies and find a job.