1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know this seems dumb but... How do I come out as trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TobaccoFlower, Dec 22, 2015.

1. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am worried about the whole idea of transitioning AFTER coming out or even before. If it was just a matter of sexuality I'd just do it and it'd be no biggie for me, but instead I'm so worried about the idea of people being confused and misgendering me because they see me as boy or even the idea of going out in public and being clocked CONSTANTLY or...

I want to badly. I just think that perhaps I'm looking for a response I am worried I won't get. I told my brother and his reaction was great, but I am worried about WHEN to come out because, while he gets it, and will respect my pronouns when I ask him to, I am afraid most won't GET it. I don't have a job anymore so I really just have to worry about school friends. This might make it hard to meet new friends, though.

Do most people come out after starting to transition? And would it be better to do that or to give my family and friends time to come to terms with it WHILE I transition?

*dizzy*

2. Anonymous

Well, it's up to you. However, it would probably be best to come out about it before you undergo any sort of transitioning efforts. If you begin to transition, people will simply notice changes in your appearance and behavior........ and it will come as a major shock. I have known one person who was transgender (MtF) and his way of coming out was to dress in all traditionally female clothing (e.g. dress, long socks, hair in a ponytail, painted his nails, and pretty much every type traditionally feminine attire that one could wear). So, you could do that, wear certain items of clothing prior to coming out....... and kind of cue people with it. However, I wouldn't do anything to change your physical appearance until you have already come out. As for the misgendering and confusion, that is unfortunately unavoidable to some degree. People are bound to forget and get confused. My friend lived in a very accepting area with very accepting friends, but people still got confused and used the wrong pronouns at times. Over the course of time, people have gotten used to it. However, there are still a few people that refuse to use the correct pronouns...... despite it being a fairly accepting area and circle of people. That is probably also common as well, that there will always be those few that just never really want to take the whole thing seriously. However, if you are in an accepting environment overall, people will generally take it seriously and address you appropriately.

#2 Anonymous, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2015
  3. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you actually think that it would maybe be best to tell them before I transition? Wouldn't they somehow expect me to start transitioning all of a sudden or. I guess. I'm worrying too much about them, aren't I?

4. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My niece who is the bravest person I know. Tested the water with her very redneck family by letting them know she liked boys. That went over pretty well. Then she started cosplaying as girls. Her grandmother helped her sew some outfits. The family got kinda used to seeing her dressed up. Then she finally just had the talk with them. This part didn't go over as well, mostly because grandmother was very adverse to her having surgery. It's been a couple of years now and everyone is very accepting now and completely refer and treat her as a girl. She hasn't had any surgery done yet, but started hormones recently. It wasn't an easy time for her and she had to be very understanding and forgiving. Klutzes like me would slip up and call her by her old name out of habit even though I fully supported her. It mostly just takes time I think. She is the most beautiful girl I've ever seen and I'm so proud of her.

5. randomconnorcon

You just got to give it time. A couple of people in my family found out before I got home for Christmas and I spent an entire afternoon hearing both he and she when referring to me. I would say to come out before you start hormones; that and the wait for it gives you all that time.

Some people write a letter/email about their feelings, some just try to say the words. I'm kinda cheating and using a letter my therapist wrote, hopefully next week. Coming out is a strange thing and is different for everyone. You need to find a way that feels right for you.

#5 randomconnorcon, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  6. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess some part of me knew that. I have wanted to come out for a little while and I know telling my family wouldn't be TOO hard but... I keep making up excuses or eing influenced by other people...