1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I ready?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alienatedapple, Dec 22, 2015.

1. alienatedapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've seen a lot of threads similar to this, but they didn't quite apply to me specifically I guess. So basically, I am pretty sure I'm lesbian. Thing is, I've grown up in a heteronormative Christian community. My mom gets upset with me even saying "oh my God," which just goes to show how seriously they (my parents) take their religion. My question is not whether I should come out to my parents, (okay, advice on that would be useful too.) But how willI know when I'm ever ready to come out? I really, really want too, but the thought gives me a shit ton of anxiety, and is really scary. But I'm tired of hiding who I am, I just want to get it over with. I'm scared of rejection, yes, but how do I get over that fear? How do I find the bravery to take that last big step? This thread is all over the place, I know what I want- just not how to express it.

I'll narrow it down to one question; how do I know when I'm ready to come out, and how would I go about that with slightly homophobic/religious/ignorant people? (Okay that was more than one sorry)

2. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me that sounds a lot like being ready. When I can feel it like a pressure in my head I know it's time to tell people something. I've come out to everyone I came out to in a personal setting about my sexuality and my gender.
    But I don't know about your parents and I'm SO sorry.

You're ready to do it, but scared of the backlash is what I'm hearing.

I'm curious about whether or not you're living at home. If you are, I know it sounds awful, but you might be better off not telling them yet.

3. Loui89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It sounds to me like you are ready to come out. But I always think it is a good idea to mentally prepare yourself for the response you might get.
    I grew up with fairly religious parents (lutheran protestant) and they were very chocked when I came out. It took a lot time for my parents, especially my mom, to try to understand and eventually accept the fact that I was gay. But eventually they got to a place where my sexuality was not longer a big deal. It took a long time. About 2 years. But they did move their boundaries.
    The first couple of months were horrible. I got fed with all the verses you would expect and asked again and again if I was sure that I was "really gay"..Maybe you just haven't met the right guy (and all the other clichés ). But they after a while it stopped.
    Coming out was the most fulfilling thing I ever did. It gave me so much. But it was also really hard. When I came out I had know that I was a lesbian for a long time and I kinda imagined that my family would understand right away. But then I realized that I had had many years to "process" my sexuality and that they haven't.
    I really hope that you do come out, because it is so important to acknowledge yourself, and don't be too upset if it takes your family some time to get used to the "new you". Hopefully the will get there eventually like my family did. Best of luck :slight_smile:

#3 Loui89, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  4. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You know that you're lesbian, so the first step is completed.
    Do you have any close friends, a bff, someone who won't judge you?
    It's best to come out to someone like that.
    Start off talking about LGBT+ issues with that person. If the person is neutral/supportive, ths a goot sign.
    Now the perspn whom you will come out to must have stood the tests of time.
    Go ahead, and blurt it out.
    That will help.
    Even a single person knowing the true you is a relief.
    And you will be able to cone out to more people.
    As for your parents, its best not to come out to them. Sorry if it sounds wrong, but they are religious. And we know how opininionated they can be.
    All the best (&&&)