1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out as FTM to my conservative parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheEpicPanda, Dec 23, 2015.

1. TheEpicPanda

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents already dislike me, and they are very conservative. I am a trans guy, I just don't know how to tell my family, only because they are conservative.

They didn't seem very happy when I told them I was bisexual, so I have no idea what to do now. When I told them I was bi, they pretty much were telling !e to stop worshipping Satan. I'm atheist so I don't even believe in hell or Satan or god and all that stuff. I just really don't know what to do...

MEHHH I'm worried! I don't want them to kick me out or anything, but I feel like I need to tell them...

What should I do? (!)

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm really sorry to say this, but in this situation, it seems safer for you not to tell them for now. I know it sucks to feel like you're hiding, and this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I don't want you to get kicked out or anything because of this.

Maybe you could try and gauge what their reactions would be first. If there's anything in the news about trans people, you could bring it up and ask offhandedly what they'd think if you were like that. If they react badly, then it's probably best to leave it until you're living away from them, that way the only consequence is that they may not be accepting.

I'm really sorry that I couldn't give you better advice and I really hope everything works out okay for you xx

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it isn't safe for you to come out yet, I'd advise waiting until you are either legally or financially able to move out. I have much of the same parents with conservative parents and I know how hard this can be.

As for how to come out... that mostly depends on your circumstances and family (whom you know best). Some find it more effective to have a face-to-face conversation with their parents, and others prefer text or letter. Personally I have decided to come out with a letter. There are a few advantages to this, I feel:

-You can keep it to give to them when the time is right.
    -You can have ample time to think through exactly what you want to say, and work out exactly how to say it.
    -When the recipients are reading it, they cannot interrupt.
    -It gives you a chance to educate them.

One thing that may help is choosing who to come out to first, with priority on those you know will support you. If you build a net of support, it may be easier to come out to the more 'difficult' people such as your parents. For example I came out to my eldest brother first in my family, because I knew he was the most liberal and would probably be accepting (he was). So now, when I come out to parents hopefully he'll be on my side. For you, do you have any close friends, teachers/advisers, or siblings you could come out to first?

If you need anyone, my wall is open, brother.