1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad doesnt understand and thinks its a phase

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DemiLiHue, Dec 24, 2015.

1. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yesterday i came out to my dad and he said he disnt understood, and he kinda debated with me to "understand". Today i told him that i told him i was non-binary because i wantedhis support, and he said he couldnt support something he didnt thought. He wasnt "ok" but he wasnt "no". Then he told me he thinks it could be just a phase (im sure its not) and he would support me if in tje future, when im like 18, i still think that. I told him today because this christmas i want him (and my stepmom) to usey right pronouns…. HELP!

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell whoever this;

"You will never be able to fully understand how I feel non-binary as you do not feel this way, just as I can never be able to fully understand how you feel [insert gender] as I don't feel that way. However, we can ask each other how we feel and understand it in terms of how the other person feels, even if not for our self. We can accept eachother, just as males and females accept they feel different about gender identity." [pause for breath] "It's like when you are a rugby fan and you can't understand why people like football, so you go to some football games and you can understand why people like football as you have been in their in-group. With gender, and anything else biological, it isn't like that. You can never go to those football games - so you'll just have to ask football fans why they like it."

You can change the analogy if you want to tailor it to what the person you're speaking to likes/dislikes.

I've found this quite effective for anything when getting people to understand, use their language but use it to your advantage. That way - you're taking what they think of it being a "phase" but getting what you want [hopefully] of the name and/or pronouns. Ending to make sure it has benefits for them, and also for you, and making them know it might not be a phase and they'll have to accept that. Maybe it's not ideal, but sometimes you can't change people's minds and you have to find another way.

#2 Secrets5, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  3. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! I will try to translate that for my dad! I hope he understands and i can have my christmas wish!! :icon_bigg

4. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My dad thinks the same thing....

I feel you!

5. FootballFan101

It might of been a bad idea to come out around Christmas as he is busy and could blame you for ruining Christmas

6. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didnt ruin christmas!

I told him, he was weird. It was disgusting! Well, my mom is gonna take it sooo well! im sure shes gonna make me feel good.

7. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LoL