1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think I'll Bite the Bullet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iConor, Dec 24, 2015.

1. iConor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay so I'm 17 years old and I am out to only a few friends. I've wanted to tell my family for ages because I feel like I'm shutting a part of myself out when I'm with them and I hate it and I think today might finally be the day...

There're six in my family and, dreading the idea of individually coming out to them, I think I'm just going to shoot 5 birds with 1 stone and come out tonight when we're all together.

How do I go about it?! Do I just blurt out "Oh yeah, I'm gay"..? I want to be as laid back about it as possible... I'm also afraid that I'm going to lose my courage and not come out at all, any words of encouragement? :frowning2:

2. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, Conor! :grin: First off, I'm super proud of you for getting to this step. Knowing that you want to is half the battle. You're awesome! :grin:

You might want to ease into it a llittle bit. Start off with 'Hey, can I talk to you guys?' Get everyone together, and then say what you're feeling. It's intimidating, and can be really frightening, but I know you can do. And you'll feel so much better once you do!

You've got this. We're all here for you! (*hug*) I know you can do it, my boy. :-D Let us know how it goes!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you know that your family will be supportive, just remind yourself of it. Try to say to yourself: "I'm ready for this." Take a deep breath, and then try to come out.

For some it is easier to say something that would indicate that they are gay, rather than using the actual word when coming out. Are you hoping to be able to bring a boyfriend home one day? That could be one thing you could say.

You are going to be fine. You can do this! :slight_smile:

4. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I also have 5 other family members who I haven't come out to. I can only give you the advice I intend to follow, which is to sit them down and say "I've been keeping something from you, and I'm sorry, and I don't want to spend another moment hiding who I truly am." or something along those lines. I really hope it goes well :slight_smile: Keep us updated xx

#4 ForNarnia, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  5. TyGuy96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Coming from a big family, I can understand the anxious feelings you're having towards telling them. although I am not at a stage where I will even consider coming out, I think the fact you've decided you want to come out to them is half of the battle. Just break into it slowly, I've also heard/read that reassuring them that you're still you, and it doesn't change who you are etc is a good ways to go.
    Do your parents know? If not maybe sit them down and tell them? once that's done telling the others will be a breeze I'm sure!

Best of luck, keep us updated on how it goes! we're all rooting for you! :slight_smile:

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck, man -- I sincerely hope you're able to find the strength to make this happen. I have no doubt that you'll be tempted to put it off, but I promise you that if you can do it you'll look back on today as one of the most important milestones of your life. It will be such a treat to feel free to finally be yourself. :slight_smile:

7. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey!
    Feel proud of yourself for building up the courage to come out, because as you can see, everyone here is.
    If you want to be laid back about it maybe just say something like, hey can I talk to you guys, just to get everyone together, maybe if your family aren't homophobic (I suppose if you want to come out to them they're probably not) you can just sit down and say that you feel like you've been hiding part of yourself and that you're gay, or you could just jump right into it and say your gay straight away, and if you'd like to, add on more things to say to them.
    If you feel like your going to lose your courage, take a deep breath, calm down, and tell yourself that you can do it.

Goodluck, I hope everything goes well for you, you got this!