1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I come out? is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ryd, Dec 24, 2015.

1. ryd

ryd

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    is it worth it to come out if I'm 100% sure my dad is 100% against same sex relationships? he would probably "disown" me... I would still have my mom but she would probably accuse me of being "confused" as she does with many things. what should I do?

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Are you reliant on them? If there is a chance that you will get kicked out of the house, then I recommend that you wait until you're more independent.

3. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, that depends on different things. First off, if your Dad were to actually do that, do you feel you could function emotionally and financially without him? The decision whether or not to tell a wholly unsupportive family is a difficult one.

4. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is there anything your parents DO value your opinion on? If they dont, I'm not sure what the benefit to you at this moment is for you. I guess my question is, what do you want to accomplish by telling them? Do you want their approval? Do you want to be free to openly express your sexuality? Do you want them to hear it from you and not someone else? All of the above? Hiding your true self definitely sucks. I was too afraid to tell my parents about stuff a lot less important than this. I'm also not sure telling them would have made my life easier. But maybe telling them would have just gotten it over with and I could have lived with a lot less anxiety, whether they accepted it or not. So think about the risks. But also the rewards. While right now may not be the best time to do it, not ever doing it might be something you always regret. I did. Still do.

#4 Patagonia, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015