1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out letter to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by followthereaper, Dec 24, 2015.

1. followthereaper

So I am visiting my parents for Christmas and sitting around in their guest room thinking about how I really should finally come out to them. I am thinking about leaving them a letter before I head back home later this weekend. I have drafted something so far and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to say not to say. Heres what I got...I am trying to keep it on the shorter side but want to hit enough of whats going through my mind as well. They are your typical Christian / conservatives.

As for me I am 25 and out of the house so I do not have to worry about being kicked out or anything. Well thanks for any help and merry Christmas =)

Mom and Dad,

I am writing you letter because I have something important about myself I need to share with you. Something I have been wanting to tell you both for years but I have just been too scared to do so. First I want you to know that I am completely fine and there’s nothing wrong. But there’s a certain part of my life that I have never been open about with you and as your son I want to be open to both of you about everything going on in my life. Right now I feel like I’m not and I fear that is causing me to be more distant with you both then I want to be and honestly telling you both crosses my mind every day. I don’t want there to be any distance between us at least from my end.

I’m sure you’ve wondered from time to time why I appear to have no love life. Why I never talk about girls or bring anyone home. It’s not that I am not meeting people or going on dates I’m just scared to tell you because I am not sure how you’re going to react. But it’s not something I can hide forever and I have tried to hide it for long enough. Mom and Dad, I’m gay. I am not sure if this going to be a complete surprise to you or if you have already guessed but I want you to know that there is nothing either of you have done to make me afraid to tell you, it just with all the stories about kids getting disowned after coming out I got myself scared. Nothing has changed about me though. I am still the same son you have always known.

I want you to know this is not a phase or a choice and I am 100% sure about who I am. Please also do not blame yourselves and think this is a result of you raising me wrong, you are both amazing parents. I do not expect you fully understand right away. It took me a long time to figure myself out. I just hope that you both still love me. I am not sure how sending you this letter is going to work out. I do not know if this Christmas is the last time you will ever want to see me. But I thought leaving a letter after I left would be the best way to go about this so you could both have time to process everything. But no matter how this all turns out I just want you to know that I will always be your son and you will always be my parents and I will always love you both with all my heart.

Love, Mikey

2. I'm_Danni_x

This is a great letter and gets straight to the point. Good luck!

3. lovetoomuch

I love this. The original plan was to come out to my parents in the summer, but I feel myself always about to slip and say something that I shouldn't. So I decided to tell them in 2 weeks.
    I am going to tell them in person, but if I were to write a letter, this is exactly what I would say. You told them the truth, you assured them that you are sure about your sexual orientation, and you reminded them it is not their fault.

Good luck man, let us know how it goes!

4. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think you put it perfectly :slight_smile:
    I wish you the best of luck!

5. notoriousBIGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great letter. I plan to send one in the mail, hope you don't mind but I'm taking some of your words. Clear and well put. Good luck!

#5 notoriousBIGuy, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  6. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its perfect!!!

7. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That sounds great. I remember the very first time I considered telling people about this. I was tripping my ass off on incredibly powerful hallucinatory seeds at nearly 5 in the morning, just completely whacked out of my gourd with no sense of time or even where I was. On the way home, I was standing in an empty parking lot in the middle of the night asking myself what would happen if I told people about this fact about me. I was staring at this large, amazing looking tree. Then, something "answered" me through this tree. The tree appeared to be angry with me, and I had a horrific vision that was "real" in my mind's eye. Everyone disowned me from their life, and there were people who were plotting to kill me in the streets. I was being chased around by people with swords and axes, that were trying to murder me over this. Then, I came back and I was in the parking lot staring at the tree feeling that I had received a vision of certainty of what would happen...... and then I returned home and hallucinated similar types of things while I was lying on my bed........ in the form of shadowy figures that were "instructing" me. However, the next day, I had made up mind to come out despite this fact. I "knew" that this was going to happen. However, I felt I had to do it despite this......... and they didn't disown me. They said they were unsettled, but they loved me regardless and said they would always support me no matter what. I spent this Christmas with them, and it was great :slight_smile: So, I am utterly impressed with my bravery of telling them after this happened. I am also amazed that the things didn't happen, and I wish the same will be the case with you :slight_smile:

#7 Contact1111, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015