1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my Parents, How?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JebtheSheep, Dec 26, 2015.

1. JebtheSheep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So y'know. My dad hates gay people quite a bit and I just figured out I am gay this year. My mom would more likely then not be very supportive of me but I really do not know how to tell them or what to do.

I'm Trapped. :bang: :help: :tears: :***:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Personally, since sexuality doesn't really affect parent's lives, I wouldn't bother telling them, especially if they're not going to be happy.

3. ShaiHulud

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How old are you? Do you still live with them?

4. KingdomKeyDK

I feel your pain. If you're still at a point where everything necessary to life comes from them, like me, it creates a problem. However, if you are independent and living on your own, go for it. You would clearly be old enough to be resolute in your beliefs, and if they don't like it.. Oh well.

5. Lyana

Telling them is a choice. You don't have to, and some people might not want to, but for a lot of us it feels important. I'm out to my mother, but not my father, and even though my mother wasn't happy about it, I'm glad she knows because it's part of who I as. My relationships are part of my life and I didn't want to hide them from her.

However, you're in school and still financially dependent on your parents. The most important thing for you right now is to make sure your environment remains a safe one for you. With that in mind, you might want to put off coming out to your parents. You have a lot of time ahead of you.
    If you really want to come out and you're sure your mother will be supportive, though, I would strongly recommend that you tell her first, separately. She might provide invaluable support in coming out to your dad, or might give you some insight as to how he could react.