1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to family, i now have a good opportunity to, but i dont want to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jan 27, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

Basically heres whats going on:

My cousin [like second or 3rd or something like that, shes in her 40s so shes more like an aunt to me] added me on facebook. I havent added or back or rejected her, more or less cause im not sure what to do. See, my sexuality is posted on it, and i dont really wanna take it down and/or change it because then i;d feel like a real liar and a fake.

I asked my mom and she said that shes really open and accepting, but at the same time im worried that she'll tell someone in the family [we're an extremely close family] or act weird around me or something.

What should I do? Accept her, reject her or just ignore the request?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The exact thing happened to me a few months ago, an aunt added me on Facebook and I wasn't sure whether to accept the request or not. Eventually I figured that she'd find out eventually, and added her - I've spoken to her a few times since then, and there's been no comment on it at all. Maybe you could add her and leave the ball in her court, or maybe send her a quick message saying something like "can you please not spread it around?" Good luck!

3. Markio

My facebook was set on "Interested in Women" until I realized I was lying to myself, so I just removed it and put "Looking for Friendship". It doesn't say my sexuality, but I'm not lying either. Of course, I always warn people not to say anything incriminating on my wall.

I'm facebook friends with my mom, two aunts, my siblings and a cousin, so it's not like I can change my mind anytime soon.

4. touch me

touch me Guest

i think you should accept her, and be open to her asking questions. This gives you control over the information she will have about you. it also opens a new channel of communications with the rest of your family.

5. biisme

You said she's worried she might tell other people in your family. Are other people in your family less accepting?

6. MusicIsLife

Oh yes. I know some family members who would never let me near their young children again if they found out :/

7. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You can go to the privacy section and set up a group of people that you want to block certain info from. I have work people set up this way so that when I go to accept them, I automatically add them to the group. Or you could just block her from that section as soon as you add her. Top right hand corner.