1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on letter asking for a binder

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by demigodjay, Dec 28, 2015.

1. demigodjay

I am a 13 yr old Trans man but I have not had the chance to transition, and won't because soccer... Well you'll understand once you read the letter. I'm asking for a binder from my mom, and she has already let me dress the way I want and get my hair cut the way I want.

This might be weird. I didn't confront you about this, but it's just really hard to find the words to explain how I feel. I wish I could just tell you that I want a binder and be done. But it's not really that simple. I have dysphoria, which is discomfort with parts of the body I'm in. Specifically-my chest. I wish I could back pedal a couple years. Nothing to worry about, no puberty. Puberty is the problem. And to get rid of the dysphoria I have, I want a binder. A binder compresses the chest to give the illusion of a flat chest. It's safe, completely safe, you're just not supposed to wear it for over 12 hours. I feel discomfort when I'm in public, it's hot, and I have to take off my sweatshirt. It becomes physically comfortable but impossible for me to feel emotionally comfortable as well. And when I don't take it off, vice versa. I'm self-conscious about my chest.

And I know this probably isn't something you want to hear from your baby girl. But I'm telling you because I trust you, and that you'll accept me for who I am. This probably looks like a coming out letter. It's not. I couldn't do it because I want soccer so badly. I don't want to miss out on the opportunity soccer could give me, because I love it. But it's hard to hid who I am. So, I want a binder to get rid of my dysphoria and get a better idea of who I am inside. I'm not coming out as transgender, but it will mean the same amount to me if you accept me now. I love you, mom, that'll never change. If you hadn't let me dress the way I dress I don't know who I'd be right now. Hiding who I am, dysphoria engulfing me, it would just be horrible without your open-mindedness. But it's not, and it's because of you that I can embrace most for who I am. Thank you. I mean it.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

'But it's hard to hide what I am'

If you're wondering why I changed 'who' to 'what'; I define 'what' as biological stuff you can't change and 'who' as part of your personality, likes/dislikes, you can always change it back if you want. :slight_smile:

I also think a binder is only up to eight hours, but it might depend on make.

#2 Secrets5, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  3. Jay Dinosaur

Out Status:
    Some people
    The main point of argument my own mum had when I asked her for a binder was "that doesn't sound safe" and I never got a binder.

I have ended up secretly getting one via a friend so I do have one now, but that's beside my point.

Be sure to explain how dangerous alternate methods of binding can be (tape, bandages, ebay binders etc.) and that you wouldn't want to resort to using those and you want to treat your body with respect and kindness while also feeling comfortable and confident in yourself.

The binder that I have is gc2b and it's great! Be sure to get a good quality binder, not a cheap one from ebay, as I have damaged my ribs somewhat by using one of those for like 4 hours. Feel free to message me or whatever if you wanna ask any questions!!

4. demigodjay

Thanks for the help! I didn't cover everything in the letter because I think I'm going to come back into the room after she's read the letter, see her reaction, and let her ask questions. I'm rewriting the letter every night until I can give her the letter privately.

5. Jay Dinosaur

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like a good idea! Good luck friend!