1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Messed Up Coming Out to my Mum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by eko, Dec 28, 2015.

1. eko

eko Guest

So yesterday I came out to my mum as transgender when I was on my way round to a friends for staying over. Not the best place or time but it was the only time we had been alone. All in all it went okay and she said she loved me and all the stuff I'd hoped she would say. The next day when I got home it was obvious she was upset and she could hardly look at me. I tried to act like normal around her and kind of avoided her for most of the day. Later on today we were in the car and she brought it up and is pretty much saying it's just a phase that I'm going through and that my mind is filled with hormones as im going through puberty. This is the part that I messed up on. I agreed with her. I said that we shouldn't do anything about it. Since I said that she's been fine around me and to be honest I think she's happy I said that.

I don't know what to do to fix this because I really want a binder and for her to support me. I don't think it would be best if I told her straight away, maybe in a few months? I just want her to know the truth cause I can't go on like this.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Be honest because, as you say, you can't go on like this.
    You don't need to be blunt or anything, just help her understand that this isn't something that's going to go away - it's part of you.
    My parents had a bit of time when they had trouble accepting my for being gay, but I made sure they couldn't be in denial about it so now they have gotten used to it.

Be who you are. Best of luck

3. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You probably did the right thing. Trying to force the issue would have made her become desperate and she would have lashed out at you, that's, at least what happened with me and it left some scars. Give her time to process it, don't worry, she won't forget... wait a bit until you feel comfortable enough to raise the issue again and come out again. It's normal for your mother to be in denial at this stage and by not pushing her you avoided forcing her into a corner. Transitioning takes time and coming out can be a long process, you took the first step and you were extremely brave and you should be proud of yourself. Next time it will most likely be much easier. (*hug*)

#3 Eveline, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  4. Alfa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am in the same situation. I told my parents, and it was deemed a phase. From what I pieced together, they were more concerned about how it would affect my life than whether it would personally affect them. The only suggestion I have is that when you talk to her again about it, make sure to be confident and don't leave any room for doubt about your situation. Best of luck!

5. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be honest with her, you don't need to be blunt with her, maybe just give it a little time before you bring it up with her again, and try and help her with understanding everything. I can really say much more so good luck with everything.

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Perhaps you could tell her that before you thought it could be a phase due to hormones, but after doing some reading on the internet [research white matter in the brain] you found that it isn't about hormones and that it [probably] isn't a phase. Ask her to support you for what you are at that moment even if she still thinks it's a phase.