1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sadness

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hoping, Jan 28, 2009.

1. hoping

today the guy i really like his mum passed away from cancer so im trying to think of ways to make him happy and to not get really depressed cause his dad died the year they found out his mum was dying and his brother doesnt live around here.

2. riddlerno1

Just be there for him. You dont need to try and make him happy. He will appreciate the fact that your there and that will mean more than anything.

3. LorenzG1950

Riddlerno1 already hit the main point. Offer your friend help with whatever he might need, errands, shopping, paying a bill, giving him a ride, etc. Ask him out to dinner so he can talk while you listen. If he's not ready to talk, then try to find ways of entertaining him, a movie, a concert, a bar. I think he'll appreciate that more than anything else. He needs to know that there are people around who still care about him, a lot. (*hug*)

4. Jim1454

Yes - just a simple note or call to let him know you're sorry, and that you're available to do anything he needs you to do. Nothing you do is going to make him 'happy' - it will be a few days before he's likely to feel that emotion - so don't try to hard.

What will be important is that you're around for him in a week or two, when the shock has passed and he's left facing the reality that both his mom and his dad are gone. He'll need someone to talk to and to count on. That person can be you.

5. loving the pink

I know its not quite the same but when my nan died, because I was so busy looking after my mum, no one really looked after me, but on the day of the funeral, I turned round in the church and 3 of my friends were there to support me. It's little things like that, that you can do, that will comfort your friend x x x

6. tm74

tm74 Guest

Agreed with everyone else - don't try to cheer him up, just be there for him, he'll be low for a while (probably more than a few days) - but stand by him, make sure he knows you're never more than a phonecall away if he wants to chat (whether about his feelings over the death, or anything else), and make time for him.

7. EM68

I would plan to go to the wake and funeral as emotional support for him. Also afterward just be there for him. Give him a shoulder to cry on. He will need it at some point.