1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Try and fail

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alfa, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Alfa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had an odd coming out experience. I had struggled for a while, and last year I finally broke down and told my parents that I was gay. I never questioned whether I would have their support, but I didn't expect them to assume it was "just a phase" (stereotypical, I know). I was nervous to tell them, so I may not have had enough self confidence to be convincing. Now it seems like they think everything is "back to normal", but they don't realize that I am actually gay, not just that I was questioning myself. It is pretty awkward for me. I've avoided talking about it but I know eventually I'll have to tell them. Any advice on how to handle this? Kind of in limbo.

#1 Alfa, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. KittenSanity

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry that's how that turned out, I'm in a similar situation with my dad right now. If I were you, I would find a good time when everyone is in a decent mood, and then sit down and seriously talk with them. Remind them about what you had said in the past, and tell them that your feelings haven't changed. State to them that if it were 'just a phase' then it wouldn't have lasted this long, and make sure they understand that you are informing them because you care about them, not because they have a say in your orientation. I would do it soon though, while it's still fresh on your mind, and make sure you prepare yourself. Come up with answers to questions they may ask before you begin the conversation. Write it down if you have to.

Good luck, and I hope this works out well for you!

3. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with KittenSanity; you should try to reinforce it. Let them know that you are serious.
    However. I wouldn't say to them "I'm certain I'm gay."
    Rather, I'd be more like, "Hey remember before when we talked about my sexuality? Well that hasn't changed."
    it's important to sound confident, but not unmovable. And the only reason I say this, is because parents don't like to hear the "I'm certain I'm gay." They'll be more open to hearing, "I'm pretty sure I'm gay; will you support me experimenting in this?"

And you can't change your sexuality, when it comes down to it. But your label can change, and parents don't typically like their kids suddenly "labeling" themselves; especially if their kid doesn't have a lot of experience.

Parents are weird. But, this is their logic, to my understanding.

#3 Linus, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015