1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New years Resolution... Come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dylanisawsome19, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only problem is I really don't know how... I mean I'm sure most people expect it now that I don't play the straight act and am my more effeminate self but I'm still in closet but I want to and am ready to come out but I don't know how to my friends say they got my back so at least I got support... Does anyone have any advice for thank you so much in advance

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Take anything I say with a grain of salt since I'm not out myself, but I think the most important thing to know is that there is no perfect way or opportunity to come out. I expect that the anxiety and anticipation will be much more stressful to you than the actual event and the aftermath, but it's never going to be an easy thing to do. I'm convinced that it's completely worth it though -- hopefully the people you tell are supportive and don't look at you any differently, but if there are some that aren't then at least you don't have to waste any of your energy on people that aren't worth your time. That's not to say it will be pleasant, but there's value in knowing who your true friends really are.

If I remember your back story correctly, you recently became your little brother's guardian after finding out that he was gay and felt it was necessary to shield him from your parents' bigotry and homophobia. That's a horrific situation, but as a small consolation you don't have to worry about coming out to your parents anymore and for most LGBT people that's the most difficult thing to do. Your profile also indicates that you're out to your closest friends already and it seems like they remain positive, stabilizing forces in your life which is a great foundation to have. You've already done the hard part.

At this point, what do you have to lose? If you come out to some of the people you're not as close with, you'll either gain the freedom to be yourself and possibly strengthen your relationship or you can cut out some people who weren't really your friends in the first place. After all, if they only like a false picture of you what do you really have? And most importantly, you have an opportunity to set an excellent example for your brother and prove to him that it's okay to be gay and prevent him from growing up self-conscious about who he is.

So yeah, push yourself out of your comfort zone momentarily and see how many doors that opens for you and how much weight is lifted off of your shoulders. I wish you the best of luck. :slight_smile:

3. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if I can tho I'm not... Brave or strong I'm a shy coward who's easily knocked down

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How are you a coward? You made an incredibly brave decision to take care of your brother and found the strength to come out to the people you're closest with. You might not think that counts for much, but I do and as far as I'm concerned you've already passed the most important stage.

Being out to everybody is definitely a nice goal to have, but it matters a lot more that you're now able to be yourself around your best friends and your brother -- they are your real family. The rest is just gravy.

5. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never been able to put myself first. I understand why people think so highly of me... Even on here... I protected my brother. Any good sibling would. IRL I'm put on this pedestal and I don't know why

#5 dylanisawsome19, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you are put on a pedestal and don't know why, it tells a lot about your character. It tells me that you are a very kind and selfless individual who cares about the good in this world. That is something to be proud about.

7. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But now that I'm faced with something regarding myself... I don't know how to do it and no one seems to understand that now I'm the one needing help because this is something I've never faced and I'm scared

8. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what we're here for. I agree that sometimes you need to lean on others.

It's sad that because people look up to you, they don't think you have any problems and hence the same people aren't much help. But we're here.

Are you comfortable talking about what is affecting you?

9. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah but I feel like people just never listen or don't believe I have issues... But I have some severe ones that I've never faced

10. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why don't you try to tell us. EC is a very supportive place. I've personally experienced support here.

11. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  12. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't have to be. I'm sure we'll be able to understand what your going through. It's a slow process, but a process all the same. Try to tell us what's wrong. We can help you through it. :slight_smile:

13. JiminyJordy

JiminyJordy Guest

I haven't heard the story about your brother. Is there a link to a post where I can find out more? I'd like to help if I can.

14. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry that my feedback seems to upset you rather than help; that definitely isn't my intention. I will refrain from commenting further, but I really do hope you figure out how to come out fully and find happiness. Best of luck.

15. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not an easy thing to do and I was around your age when I did it. Hope everything goes well for you

16. whatdoIneed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It DID take courage at your age to become a full time guardian for your brother and accept the responsibilities that come with doing so. Yes good siblings look out for each other but not many 20 year Oldsmobile would do what you did

17. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is the thread that explains it all

It's not you I'm just a wreck in general right now

My little brother is my world and was all I had for a while and I would do anything for him

But as far as coming out... I've helped friends but I've never done it so I don't know how

18. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So a little update... I tried to tell my friend Katie, but I choked and she guessed it... I can't help but feel pathetic... I know most of my female friends will be accepting but it doesn't make it easier... I feel HOPELESS

19. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't feel pathetic. I've been there and it's not a good feeling. Not at all. Feel positive. You were brave enough to try and tell you friend. That's really good.

How did Katie take it? What did she say? You said she guessed it, I hope that means she took it positively.

Don't feel hopeless. If you think all your female friends will take it positively, that's really good. You have a support system right there. And that's great!

(*hug*)

20. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I said yes she said I KNEW IT and hugged me and let my cry on her shoulder a bit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.