1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM Trans trouble

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by YourCuteKouhai, Dec 31, 2015.

1. YourCuteKouhai

Alright.... so.. how do I put this? I really need advice on how I should talk to my family about getting surgery and coming out as trans. I have always felt extreme discomfort with my body as a biological female and I feel like I want to change. There's just my problem of not knowing how to tell my family... :confused:

2. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, this really depends on your parents and their personalities. There are a few ways to come out, but not matter which way you choose, there are still some pointers that you should be familiar with to make sure that everything goes as smoothly as possible. You could come out traditionally by sitting down and talking to your family, or you could put it into writing. There are also some interesting creative ideas out there on the internet if you're interested. No matter which option you choose, there will most likely be questions asked. Before you come out, consider what kinds of questions your parents will probably ask and think about how you would answer them. Keep in mind, coming out is a process. It's not something that you just do once and it's over with.

You should approach everything gently and calmly. It's completely normal to be nervous, but don't let your nerves get in the way of the message you want to convey. Your parents will most likely be shocked because they've always associated you with your birth sex. However, just give them some time to ask questions if they have any. They may be in denial about your gender identity, but you should explain that it's a part of who you are and try to give them some time to get used to it. Also, if coming out is going to endanger your physical, mental, and/or emotional well-being, then I would advise you not to. The last thing you want to do is put yourself in unnecessary danger.

I guess my last point would have to be that timing is key. Choose a moment where everyone is calm and relaxed. If things are crazy or someone is frustrated, the shock of your coming out will probably make things worse. You want your parents to be open-minded and ready to discuss this with you maturely. However, we all have our off days, and it's understandable. Just be prepared and know what you're going to say. Discuss what surgery you're thinking about and how you're going to afford it. It doesn't hurt to be well-prepared.

Best of wishes to you, and I hope everything goes well!

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe a letter? This way you could explain every thing in detail. Here is a great resource for coming out and thinking through how to say it.

4. YourCuteKouhai

Okay! Thank you both. I've been trying to get my mother to talk with me about it but she doesn't seem to really want to sit down and just talk for a while.