1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doubt after coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JackIsANerd, Jan 1, 2016.

1. JackIsANerd

So I have been telling a lot of my online friends that I am trans. The thing is after I tell them and they react positively I get this terrible feeling of doubt. Like I am making all this up and I am going to chicken out later on. :confused: Did anyone else feel like this? I feel so certain of my future until I tell people, and more and more people knowing just makes the doubting and questions worse! :tears:

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe it is normal. It is happening for me as well. I find the doubt goes away the more I talk about it with others.

3. Naxams

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah same i thought i was gay for like a couple of days then i started thinking i like both males and females so to the people i told i'm like how am i gonna tell them luckly i only told one person so i dint have much to clean up but still now i know who i am being but still think it through for a little while then decide that's what worked for me anyway so i recommend thinking it through

#3 Naxams, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  4. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm questioning my gender identity (which doesn't seem to fit into either "cis guy" or "trans girl" as far as I know) and have been crossdressing regularly for the last couple months. I really like having an alternate female form and decided to go to an LGBT gamers event as female last month to see if I liked interacting with people in public as a girl. It was great, but the next time I went to an event as female I felt guilty about it. Like if I don't know my gender identity is in fact female I have no business presenting as anything other than my birth gender.

I've been told I shouldn't feel guilty about this, that if I'm questioning I really should present as female regularly to sort of "try it on" but I still feel like if I'm not definitely trans I shouldn't be letting people get to know me as a girl.

#4 DRex, Jan 1, 2016
  5. JackIsANerd

Aww have you looked up any other identities? Maybe something like demigirl?

I feel guilty by just saying I am a boy when I still look like a girl on the outside. I think guilt is also a normal thing that happens?

#5 JackIsANerd, Jan 1, 2016
  6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I u derstand that. I feel like I don't have the right to call myself a man when I still look like a girl. Guilt is normal. Fear is normal. Doubt is normal. It is apart of becoming who we are meant to be.

7. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes yes yes yes. I am experiencing the same thing right now. It's horrible isn't it?

8. JackIsANerd

Yeah its pretty horrible :confused: But I am confident we will get through this! (*hug*)

9. Boatman

I think it is part and parcel of accepting yourself. You are taking a big step, retreating back to what you know to be safe and feeling guilty for taking the step. When I was coming out to myself I went once a week for a cup of tea and a chat with support worker at an LGBT Centre. I did the I'm bi bit for a couple of weeks, then one day she asked how I saw my orientation and gay just slipped out. These things take time, don't push, just take time to be you.

10. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It happened, and still happens, to me. It seems normal but it can hurt. Stat strong.

11. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The same group I presented female to is meeting again this Tuesday. I'm not sure if I should appear as male or female now, and I think maybe I might need some encouragement to do the latter.

12. breq

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm in the same boat! Pretty rough stuff!

13. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OK, regardless of what my identity really is, I need to figure it out somehow in order to move on with life. And to really know, I have to try both genders out and find out which one fits me the best. Considering I have 28 years of experience in being male, that means being female more often.

So I'm going as female.

14. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had that for a little while after realizing I'm gay not bi. Went away pretty quickly, Jennifer Lawrence notwithstanding :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: