1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out help~

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mandolicious, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Mandolicious

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello!

My name is Mando, and I need advice for coming out. Please keep in mind that I am 13, nearly 14 and I am not yet in high school.

So, to begin with I identify as bisexual. I have felt this way for nearly 5 years. I have always been feminine, yet masculine at the same time. It is very complicated as I like both genders, but in different ways.

Anyways, there are a few concerns I have about coming out.

People at school finding out. I have a history of being bullied and many rumors have gone around claiming I'm gay. Bullying has recently stopped for me and I don't want it to start again. Fortunately, I have a very supportive group of friends although I don't know how they would react, but I'm certain it would be positive.

Another concern of mine is if I come out to my parents that other family members would find out. Such as my grandfather and some of my cousins who have used racist and homophobic slurs before. I know my parents would be supporting as they have close gay friends and they support the LGBTQ community.

--

I have felt this way for a very long time, it would feel so great to get it off my chest. I'd really like :help: Thanks!

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Our teacher once showed us a report and gay [they might not be, but people might assume] people who don't come out are bullied more than out gay people.

How old are your cousins? Is it possible they've internalised the things from your grandfather? If so, perhaps speak to them in private away from him so that they are less likely to be influenced.

Perhaps speak to your grandfather in private, allowing him to give his views. Your grandfather most likely lived at a time where children were ''seen and not heard'' and were probably told when they're older they'd get to talk. However, now they're older and it's the teenagers telling them what to think, so it's like they've never gotten a say. Therefore, if you let him speak, he'll feel like he's been listened to and then you can tell him what you feel and how you think and he'll listen as he'll remember what it's like to be your age and wanting to be heard.

I can't guarantee he'll change his mind, but at least you've had a conversation about it.

Perhaps speak to your parents first, if they're accepting anyway then maybe just start a conversation about the celebrities you like or real life people and they'll have the conversation with you without problems. They could also help you in coming out to the grandparents if there's anything specific need to know before doing it.