1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With being a teacher.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Secrets5, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

So when I'm older, in 5 or so years time, I'm going to be a teacher, hopefully. I know it isn't legally recognized yet, but I'd still like the kids to call me 'Mx.'. Would it be reasonable to request this? And how would I go about requesting this?

Also, should I tell them that I'm non-binary because if there's discrimination? [although to be honest I don't see why I'd want to work at a school that's going to discriminate me].

Thank-you.

2. rudysteiner

I don't have much to contribute, but I don't know how to pronounce 'Mx', is it like 'muhx'?

Also, most colleges in the UK have the students call their teachers by the teacher's first name, so that could be an option if you're looking to teach GCSE/A-Level. I know 100% that there's schools in the UK that have their students call the teacher's by their first names too, I've visited one in London. That was a primary school, though.

Out of interest, what subject are you going to be teaching? I want to be a teacher at around the same time as you, probably in either Eng Lit or Psych/Sociology.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about the UK but in the US my school declares that any discrimination should be reported to the superintendent office and they are title 9 compliant (sex/gender/religion anti discrimination). I'm guessing the uk has something similar though.

4. Nobo

Go to city hall and change your name to mx