1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost ready to come out but can't get over the past

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dooey6464, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Dooey6464

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My New Years resolution is to come out but There something that keeps bothering me for a while. When I relised that I might not be straight i went in complete denial and because of this I said stuff that I regret till this day. I said that homosexuality "was wrong" ,"not normal" and " didn't agree with it" . I don't think it help that I come from a very conservative family who are a bit homophobic. Now every time I see certain people I have panic attacks because I'm scared of what there reaction will be when I do come out. I wish I could go back in time to stop myself from saying those. I feel like such a horrible person when I have these panic attacks

Am I a horrible person?

What should I do ?
    :tears::tears::tears:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

If you grew up in a time or place where homosexuality was considered 'wrong' by everyone ... then I believe as long as you've changed your mind now [regardless of your own sexuality] then you're not a bad person as you have the ability to grow and learn new things.

Perhaps just advocate LGBT+A around your family, saying that times have moved on and there's new evidence to say that homosexuality is normal so what they agree with is factually [scientifically] inaccurate. That way if you're scared to come out, then you can try and change their mind about everyone even though they don't know about you.

3. Bibliovian

You are not a horrible person.

If the 15 year old version of myself met the current version of myself, we'd probably end up in fisticuffs. I said some horrible stuff back then. People change. Change is the only constant.

4. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Same. Old me sucked, big time.
    When you're still coming to terms with things, you sometimes say things you don't mean. If I were in your position, I'd speak to the people you said those things to and apologise. Just let them know that you are sorry and were wrong to say such things.
    Then, when you do come out. you won't have to feel so guilty.

#4 ForNarnia, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  5. Dooey6464

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for all the support and help. I going to apologise and might bring up LGBT to family.

Thanks