1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Break is at its End

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sleepwalking, Jan 6, 2016.

1. sleepwalking

Winter Break is drawing to a close and I am beginning to feel an urge to come out to my mom. My original plan was to not tell may parents anything until the small college fund was used up, but by this point it's basically been used up and I think it's too late for the money to be taken back. In the past when I've tried to broach the topic of homosexuality with my mother it has led to lectures about how "being gay is wrong but it isn't my place to judge" This worries me because she is so adamant about homosexuality being a sin and I'm really worried about her reaction if I tell her I like girls. Another issue is I don't know exactly what I should tell her in regards to my sexuality. I primarily like girls, but I do on occasion find a guy I like. Do I tell her I'm gay? bi? pan? I've used all these terms before. When coming out to people in college I just said "I'm not straight" end of discussion, but I feel like this won't cut it with my mom. I fear my dad will have an extremely negative reaction, which is why I only wish to tell her. As of right now, if I were to be cut off financially or kicked out I am in a position where I can get help from friends and family to the point where I can fully support myself. So, I guess my reason for writing this all out is that I don't know who to talk to about this. I don't know if it's worth the risk to tell my mom but at the same time, I don't know how much longer I can take keeping it a secret. I feel trapped.