1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you help me gain the confidence to come out by the easter holidays?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Methrandir, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello, my new years resolution is to come out to my parents and a few more friends before the easter holidays. None of them have been blatantly homophobic but most have taken part in casual homophobia. Im very close with all of them but when i decide i want to do it, i just freeze and i nearly have a panic attack, even when i try to text it to my friends. Help???
    :tears:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

If it's ''casual'' then maybe they don't even realise they're doing it and just think it's acceptable speech. Perhaps tell them that it isn't acceptable, or if it's on-the-edge [like the word 'queer'] then say that you find it offensive, but others may not [or vice versa].

#2 Secrets5, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  3. Lyana

Hi Methrandir,

It's pretty normal to be scared. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Setting a deadline helps some people. For others, it just creates too much pressure and then too much disappointment if they don't make it. If coming out is going to improve your life, then doing it reasonably soon is a good idea... but if you're not sure, taking your time is fine and healthy. And you're young. You have a lot of time ahead of you to come out.
    So that's my first piece of advice. Relax. Don't actually worry too much about the date... Five years from now, it won't matter whether you came out before Easter or after Thanksgiving.

Next, try to figure out why you're so scared. If you're having "panic attacks" -- is there a reason?
    Don't look at it as coming out all at once. Start small. Pick one person first, just one whom you trust will be okay with it. And before coming out to your parents, be sure they won't kick you out or make life miserable for you -- coming out is good, but being safe is more important.

And finally... Good luck.

4. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the replies people!

5. sapphiregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey, I completely understand how you feel. I think many of us have been in a very similar position when trying to come out - I can particularly relate to the panic attack feelings :frowning2:

It is hard, but I think you will feel so much better once you get it off your chest. Think of it as a challenge that you have accepted and are going to take head on. You can do this! I think your family and friends will be accepting of you. I'm sorry if my advice completely sucks, lol. Just know that you aren't alone and you have the support of all of us here. Your feelings are totally normal! Remember, you are brave and amazing :slight_smile:

6. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being scared is normal, if you weren't that would be abnormal.
    I found watching YouTube coming out videos and reading coming out stories helped me. The funny reactions to coming out thread on this site is good.
    Don't put too much pressure on yourself and best of luck.(*hug*)

7. FootballFan101

In Easter you can prepare for coming out with a wee bit more time as we get an extra few days off for th 1916 Easter Rising 100th anniversary

8. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there, l love Ireland, l would love to visit someday! So you've got your deadline set, that's good. Now figure out who you want to tell first, your parents or your friends? You can figure that out I guess, you may have a really close friend that you want to tell that could help support you when it comes to telling your parents. Or maybe you have a great relationship with your parents and you want to tell them first. Next, write up a draft on what you want to say to them. You don't have to give them a letter, but you can use it as a guide. You could give them a letter if you want though. Build up your confidence and pick a place with no distractions i.e. No tv, radio, whatever else you can think of, you get the idea. Once you tell the first person it gets easier each time. He who has overcome his fears will truly be set free. You will feel so good after you tell them. It will feel like a weight is lifted and you will realize that it really wasn't that bad. People will see the real you and they will love you for that. It will show you have courage and integrity so I say go for it! Good luck!