1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointed in my mum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NotKnowing, Jan 7, 2016.

1. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Okay. So I came out to my mother about 2 weeks ago. She continued to call me she/her and by my birth name.
    Today we had a talk.
    To her I am a dumb girl that is making stuff up to make her life more interesting.
    She refuses to call me Oscar, because she thinks it's silly and it makes her uncomfortable.
    She then went on to compare me wanting to be called Oscar to when my sister was anorexic and only wanted to eat certain food.
    She said if she suddenly became very religious and went to church every week, I would think it was stupid too. I said I wouldn't. Why would I if she thought it was the right thing for her?
    She said she is not going to forbid me wearing boys' clothes and being called whatever but she is not going to support it.
    She thinks it will be over in a few months and that I will then want her to not talk about it again.
    I tried to make her realize that I am being serious but she doesn't really believe me.
    I am shocked and disappointed and I don't really know what to do.
    I cannot believe how blind she is to what is important to me and my feelings. She has always been someone to think of herself too much or is always acting as if she was the victim.
    I had quite a good relationship to
    her but never liked her conservative thinking.. I live with her and don't really have the best relationship to
    my father and wouldn't want to live there... I guess I will talk to him and see if he is any more supportive (I doubt it, he's a priest..)

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2016 at 02:40 PM ----------

She also said it was all due to me reading about it on the internet and that I did it because it was cool or something.

2. Bibliovian

I have always had this theory that at some point, all children realize how incredibly human our parents are. A glaring flaw appears that you know to your core that they are wrong about and it breaks this like infallible image we have of our parents as authority figures.

I'm sorry your Mom is reacting this way. Hopefully her reaction will be over in a few months and she will not want you to talk about her mistake. :slight_smile: Time is really your only option here as far as I can tell. I'm sorry. Hopefully people here can be an outlet until things improve.