1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hockey and Gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sleeping Owl, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Sleeping Owl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys, new to the site here.

So I've been getting ready to come out of the closet recently but one of the things holding me back is that I'm not sure how it'll pan out being a hockey player and whatnot. I feel bad for saying this but I think it'd be easier for me to get it over with if I weren't so sporty. You guys probably know what hockey/sport culture is like for the most part - a lot of "that's gay" thrown around, bromance jokes, etc. And it's also awkward considering that we change in the same dressing room... Not awkward for me since I'm not gawking them up, but it will most certainly be awkward for them, whether or not they tell me to my face.

Lol this was poorly worded.:dry: I was just wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice about this. It just makes things a lot more awkward than they already are.

2. VampireGrin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't let that hold you back. I don't know anyone on your sports team, but it's honestly much easier these days to come out. Most people are open and know someone close who's gay. A few people might be awkward, but that's their problem not yours. I get what you're saying though. Most of my friends are straight guys that make gay jokes and I had similar fears. It was a little awkward at first, but nothing has changed. I'm sure it'll be the same for you. And no one says you have to come out to your team. Just tell the people you're close with, and if word spreads then so be it. People are gonna be people and talk behind your back no matter the circumstances. Yeah, when they find out you're gay people are gonna talk. Try not to worry about it. Good luck and welcome to the site!

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay