1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out at school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NotKnowing, Jan 8, 2016.

1. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been thinking a lot about if I want to come out at cool. I'm on a christian school and I honestly only know of two other LGBTQ person. A girl that is in the same year as me came out as bi and it seems like everyone was okay with it.
    There's also a transboy.. When he said he wanted to be called Jackson EVERYONE talked. "You see that girl there? She wants to be called Jackson now." "Oh, that girl. Didn't she have the OP this winter break?"
    A friend of mine asked some classmates if they would be okay if someone in our class was trans. One girl said she wouldn't mind, the other ones didn't really answer.
    When I cut my hair, a boy asked me if I was going to go to Thailand soon to get a penis. (I don't know why he thought you would have to go to Thailand..)
    'Trans' is not a word anyone knows the definition of, it's only "Oh, he wants to be a girl." or "That girl wants to be called he"
    I'm leaning towards not coming out, but I do want to transition.. But even just wearing male's clothes will draw a lot of attention. I did my best bei girly the last couple of years and I wasn't bad at it, so people are not used to me being tomboyish. In fact, there are very very few girls on my school that are tomboys.
    I'm not very out going anyways and worry a lot about fitting in and what other people think of me..
    I know that if I come out I will not be seen as a guy. The transboy I was talking about earlier absolutely looks like a boy and still everyone calls him "she".
    So is it worth it? Should I wait?

2. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If it would make you feel more comfortable at school and wouldn't put you in any sort of danger, then I wouldn't see anything wrong with coming out at school. If you don't want a lot of people to talk about you though or don't like drawing attention to yourself, then I would advise against it. Coming out should make you feel more comfortable with who you are, not more anxious. Although, maybe you could come out to the other transboy if that would make you feel more comfortable? The first person I came out to turned out to be trans as well and was just about to tell me. There's safety is numbers, and if you ever have any questions, maybe he'd be willing to answer them or be there for you if you need moral support. I don't know what your relationship with him is, but there is a possibility of friendship. Maybe he's looking for a friend who will acknowledge his preferred names and pronouns.

3. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    First of all, thank you for your answer!
    Unfortunately I have never even talked to him.. We don't have any classes together and he doesn't seem like the most outgoing person. (Neither am I) I wish I could get in contact with him, but I'm way too shy to just go talk to him and he doesn't have facebook so that's also not a possibility..

4. cakepiecookie

Can you track down his email address or other social media? I totally understand being too shy to approach him, but it sounds like he could be a great person to talk to, even if you guys have nothing else in common. It would be a shame to miss out on that.

I agree with Athexant - if coming out makes you feel more comfortable and doesn't put you in immediate danger, go for it. I know it will be super frustrating if people don't use the correct pronouns, but it might be better than not being out at all. And hopefully you'll be able to get some support in explaining things to your peers so that they can get a better understanding of it.