1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this count as coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Erzulie, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Erzulie

I got kinda drunk on new years at a bar with the only friend who knew I was gay. It was the best/worst new years of my life so far. Everything I wanted to happen happened, and the a bunch of really shitty stuff happened too. We found a group of really awesome strangers, and I came out to about 2 or 3 of them. One was just oblivious so I don't know if she counted. But we were all dancing and having a good time. Then when we went to go home I couldn't find my purse. Someone probably took it in their drunken state because no one used any of my cards, I'm pretty sure the cardigan tied to it had vomit on it, and the purse was really beat up, plain black, and clearly not expensive at all. After trying to look for it and talking to all the really nice staff at the bar (they were super nice and helpful) I realized I wasn't getting it back, and I realized that I need to fly home in 3 days. My purse had my ID and credit cards and train ticket to get back from the airport, so everything sort of spiraled out of control in my head and I had a pretty bad panic attack. My friend tried to calm me down, and after about 10 minutes I was coming down from it. A few people at the bar were trying to distract me and wanted to see if I was ok. This one guy told me his story about being gay in Atlanta. I came out to him too, and he totally dropped some much needed wisdom on me. I will probably never see any of these people again, so does that count as coming out?

2. Boatman

(*hug*)Yes, I'd say so. Congratulations. I don't think it matters who, it's the fact you did it and it makes it easier the next time.

3. penelope

Okay, first of all, I'm really sorry for your situation, I hope that it will all work out.

I like to think that you only come out for yourself so that you don't have to live a lie. So in that case they would totally count because YOU CAME OUT HOORAY :slight_smile: and it will get easier the more people you tell because you get this kind of "well, can't go back now, I might as well just go for it" feeling. :slight_smile:

4. Silver Sparrow

First of all, I'm really sorry that you lost your purse. If you haven't already, make sure to cancel all your cards. I'm really sorry that you had a panic attack, but hopefully you are feeling better and have a plan on how to get home.
    Coming out is an individual process and decision, and you can define it however you'd like! However, I would define what you did as coming out.

5. confusedbubble

Yes I would see that as coming out... even if you don't see them again you did it you told someone your sexuality and that's brilliant as above poster says remember to cancel you bank cards

6. itsaysitsvalid

Good luck with the wallet situation, and yes, absolutely that counts! It doesn't matter who you come out to, strangers in the bar, other users in a forum like this, or your closests friend! Obviously, some of those coming outs will be more challenging or stressful (though you might be surprised by which ones you find hardest) but that doesn't make it count any less.

7. cakepiecookie

Totally counts! I found my initial coming out pretty easy because it was with a brand new set of friends that I'd only known for a few weeks (coming out to older friends was much harder!).

Good luck with the purse situation!

8. violagirl89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Definitely counts as coming out! You had the courage to tell someone, regardless of if you personally knew them or not. That's a lot more than some of us can say. Congrats! :slight_smile:

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes it does.