1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there lots of openly gays/lesbians where you live?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CoolUser123, Jan 9, 2016.

1. CoolUser123

In my high school there were tons of openly gays, lesbians and bisexuals however, I rarely see them in my university. And they are almost non existent in my town. Almost everyone knows each other here... But it's certainly not a homophobic town

2. violagirl89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There were not a lot of openly gay people in my high school (class of 2007!) but funnily enough, quite a few of the people that I graduated with either came out as a gay or bisexual a few years after high school was over. I had an idea that I was a lesbian in high school but it definitely was not the best environment for people that were "different" from the norm. I'm hoping that schools are a bit more accepting nowadays. I don't see too many gay people in my town, but I don't think the area is homophobic in any way.

3. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow i wish i go to highschool where you went. But i dont see any lgbt couples or people anywhere near me. Trust me i look too (sometimes stare), but yeah sometimes it sucks to be in that situation.

4. eclair

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There are literally no openly gay/lesbians where I live and go to school.
    But my country's pretty homophobic in general (anti-gay laws), so I don't blame them.
    (I wish I was in the OP's school)

5. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There were a couple that were technically out in high school, but the rest were just circulating rumors of he said she said. In college more people are open about it, though still not a lot that I know.

I feel like on tv there are gay couples everywhere, but I never see many in real life. Maybe it is just where I live.

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are a few people in my school (more than I thought at first) who are out, because my school is quite accepting, at least compared to some others I suppose, and has a GSA and LGBT support group. Most of the people in the group are pretty open about their sexualities and gender identities. I don't actually live in the most accepting place on a whole, but I'm really grateful that at least in the school community a few people are safe enough to be out.

#6 Alder, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm either one of the only gay folks in this state, or they're so deep in the closet they can see Narnia. But most people don't know I am either, since the public is so hostile about it here.

8. guitar

I went to highschool a decade ago, so not really. Today from what I've heard, there are a fair amount of gay people on highschool in Canada who are out.

9. okccpdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That is my situation living in Oklahoma. I am sure there are plenty of LGBT people here, but nobody is out and its a subject that is culturally taboo to talk about, especially if you support LGBT rights. People throw gay slurs and talk about how God will destroy America like he destroyed Sodom all day long. Being out here carries the risk of public ostracization and even physical harm.

If you live in Georgia, I've heard Atlanta is pretty accepting.

#9 okccpdude, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  10. CameOutSwinging

I live in NYC, so it almost goes without saying that there are tons of openly gay people here.

But when I was in high school, I didn't know anybody who was openly gay. I don't know if that's part of what kept me from ever talking about it, but maybe if I had known somebody who was openly gay, it would have made me feel like I had somebody to talk to about some of the feelings I had.

College was quite the same. Granted, by senior year of college, I was open about my sexuality. But I was one of maybe 10 people on campus who was openly gay in any capacity.

11. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

I only know 1 person in my school who is... not straight (it was 2 but he moved away before Christmas). i do know 1 gay couple, they're good friends with my dad, they're about 50. i don't think they count since they spend most of the year on "holiday" in Spain. that's about it.

Wait! and me!

#11 VideoGAYmer, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  12. Mikelhpc228

I am in the Boston MA area, many openly LGBT in the region. Some of you may have been to "P-town", Cape Cod; one of the best resort towns in the world to be LGBT. Gay marriage was first legalized here! I have been to same-sex marriages and am friends with married G/L/T couples. Boston City Hall proudly flies the Rainbow Flag, as do many churches with display signs "Everyone is Welcome Here". Lots of rainbow, & equality bumper stickers on cars, businesses also display Rainbow stickers in their shop windows to support LGBT people and rights. In many neighborhoods, LGBT couples openly hold hands in public, and PDA without fear or judgement. In the early 1990s, Irish-American LGBT fought for the right to march in the ST Patrcik's day parade, challenging other cities to open their parades to LGBT Veterans. Except for our brutal winter weather, Boston is a Warm and welcoming city. Please come for a visit. IMO Boston Rocks!

13. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are three guys in my year who are openly Bi and 1 openly gay