1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CrazyBoutBoyz, Jan 10, 2016.

1. CrazyBoutBoyz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in high school and I want to come out. My high school is very accepting (well, I haven't really heard any homophobic comments in the halls), I can effectively deal with LOADS of stress, and I can hold my own in an argument and diffuse situations well. The only real problems would be that I have a crush (who sits next to me in history) and his friend suggested that he not hang out with a gay guy in a certain situation for the typical, "you have the potential to like me, you must be in love with me" straight guy thing. I'mean pretty sure my crush dismissed the sugfestion, but that's the closest to homophobia I've heard at school. Also, at least two of my friends are bi, so, my friend group won't shun me. I haven't come out to anyone other than my mom because I share a room with my brother and if I told my sisters, I'd be outed all over their school faster than I could prepare. Any suggestions on if or how I should come out?

2. Lalayajen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well! If it were me, I would come out ! Why not?!
    Your mom already knows so who cares what others think? you know!

3. penelope

Sounds like you have a great possibility to come out if you feel like you're ready. :slight_smile: If you're comfortable with the idea go being out in school, then I think that you shouldn't really worry about it. :slight_smile:

4. art3mis

I would only tell people I'm gay, if they specifically ask me about it or if it fits with the conversation because I don't want to make it seem like it was a big deal for me (because it isn't) but if you think you feel more comfortable after having this coming out, then go for it.

5. CrazyBoutBoyz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I have less inclination to do it now... my sister called me a "fag" without even knowing I'm gay, so I skirted around coming out at that moment and told her it was the same as using the n-word. She said "It's just being called 'fag'"...
    How doesn't she get that? (Fyi, she still doesn't know I'm gay)
    :bang:

6. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe she has guessed but isn't very articulate in discussing it with you. How old is she? Once she realises it has upset you she may apologise

7. Thefowl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Before I came out to my friends they would use "fag" often. The second I came out It completely stopped. Maybe your sister is pulling the old "as long as the slur isn't directed to offend you then it's just a word" card. Like calling a white kid the n-word (no one should use slur, just an example). She may stop if you do come out to her.

8. CrazyBoutBoyz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She's in middle school, when i told her it was the same as using the n-word, which doesn't directly affect us, she said it wasn't the same.