1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 83protons, Jan 11, 2016.

1. 83protons

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi there,
    I am bisexual but not many people know this about me. I'm married to a guy so most people just assume I'm straight.
    I met my best friend after I was married and I want to tell her I'm bi because it doesn't feel right that she doesn't know something important about me, but I'm worried about what her reaction will be.
    What should I do?

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think it's great you want to tell her. If this is something you've been holding in for a while, telling someone can be a huge relief.
    Maybe try to feel her out to see what she thinks of LGBT+ people. For example, if something comes up in the news or you here a story about and LGBT+ person, you could mention it to her and just see what her general reaction is. Then from there you can decide if you think you'd want to tell her.
    If you want to but you're worried about it being sudden, maybe try to drop some hints like saying you really like a female celebrity or something. Sometimes that can be kind of hard though without being obvious.
    If she's a generally accepting person though, I'm sure she'll be very supportive and it will go well.
    Good luck!

3. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Make it clear you dont want her to tell other people about it is a VERY important lesson ive learned, I told my best friend who after getting home immediatly told both his parents that im gay, and they were all impressed and reinforcing to him! and now they wont look me in the eye or talk to me for very long its very very wierd when i go to his house. oh and they used to not mind it when his 3 year old sister took an interest in me and wanted to show me all her toys but now they are quick to get her out of the room. so yeah in short be sure to make it clear you dont want them to blab about it

4. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi there, it's awesome that you want to tell her. Coming out to your best friend can feel like a burden off the shoulders.
    Try and gauge her thoughts about LGBT+ people, maybe start a conversation about some celebrity. Or maybe eveb say that you have a mild crush on someone. If she is accepting, go for it. Come out to her.
    If not, it's better not to come out to homophobic people.