1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips on coming out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BiBoy, Feb 1, 2009.

1. BiBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Does anybody have any good tips on coming out? I told one person, but that was really akward cuz I just said it. Can anyone help me?

2. crystaltriforce

well what worked for me was to send an email telling my mom that i'm bi while she was at work and i was at school to give her some time to let it set in.

P.S. welcome to EC.

3. BiBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks!

4. biisme

If you're unsure of what to say and you want to make sure you cover you can write a letter, or an e-mail, as crystaltriforce said. This would also allow some time for the person to take it in before they talk to. If you're unsure about how to bring it up in conversation you could say: "I need to talk to you about something." or "i have something to tell you." Another way to bring it up in conversation is to start with politics, or talk about a friend who is gay/bi and then segue into your coming out.

5. mcrteenagers

I've never really found a way to just blurt it out with no background meaning for it. Here's how I came out to one of my bosses.

Janet: "Mike, I saw on Facebook your in a relationship....who is it."
    Mike: "Well, you met him last Tuesday Janet."

I guess you gotta be comfortable enough to just tell anybody at anytime like that. If thats something you can't see yourself doing, and just want to have a private talk with a friend, call them over so you can be comfortable with when and how it happens.

Good luck!

6. starfish

I have yet to find a way that is not awkward. I usually just say something along these lines "Hey I just want to let you know. I have told a handful of people and have decided to be open about this. I want to know so that if you hear others talking about it you are not left wondering. It is not a secret, but I am gay." Then I just let the conversation go from there.

7. Courtneyyy

I've only come out 3 times, so I'm no expert on this. My least stressful one was the first one. He asked me if I liked girls. I wasn't preparing for this to happen at all so, I had no time to stress (altho, I had been thinking about telling him). I know it's not the easiest thing to do, but if you can somehow direct the conversation in a way that your friend actually asks if you are gay it's much easier because you don't actually have to say the words "I'm gay"