1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lonely

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mitchell, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Mitchell

Do you ever feel really lonely?

Have any disabilities or mental health problems?

Feel alone and never really had a friend before?

How do you deal with it?

2. Greggers

Well considering ive never...

kissed
    held hands with
    hugged (with feeling)
    cuddled
    flirted
    made eyes (with feeling)

...with another human being? yes. i feel lonely ALOT. Like, 24/7...

I used to deal with this by having my dog who i could just hold and hug and love, but he had to be taken away. So now im all alone. Sure, i have friends. Sure, i have EC. This is a different kind of lonely though. I guess i feel physically alone. I long for a relationship. If you have ever heard of the "6 expressions of love" its this theory that everyone expresses love a different way. One of the six ways is contact, and that i think is me. I need that contact with someone to feel not alone, and it does not look like im getting it anytime soon.

So yea, again, to deal with this id have to get someone/something i can just....hold in essence.

3. Cool Beans

I also find myself feeling very lonely very often. My level of physical contact is basically nothing, which sucks because I'm pretty sure I'm a cuddler. Anyway, I deal with it by telling myself that it won't always be this way, that things will get much better in the future. I truly believe that they will.

4. theworld

^^ agree with cool beans. I just try to keep my head down and remember college is a very near reality. Things will have to get better in that department there.

I'm an optimist most of the time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A song I loved growing up had the line "they call us lonely, when we're really just alone". And that sums up fairly well, especially my teen years. I DID spend a lot of time on my own. But at the same time, I LIKED being alone. Yeah, sometimes I felt quite lonely and wished I had someone to share things with more. But much of the time, I actually enjoyed being by myself. I'm still like that.

Lex

6. curiousdude

We've all been there. I think the basic human condition is one of loneliness, which we spend our lives trying to resolve through relationships with others. I always take comfort that "this too shall pass." I tend to deal with it by throwing myself into things--like working or exercising or cooking or watching a favorite movie or t.v. show. Music helps too.

7. Mitchell

Okay. Thanks for your responses. It means a lot.

8. -Michael-

I used to, then I realised I'm not alone at all.

I was pushing these things away as I didn't want to get close to anyone.

Now I'm fine. :slight_smile:

Hope things get better!

9. Dazed

Dazed Guest

Do you ever feel really lonely?
    i think everyone at one point feels lonely. i only feel lonely when a realize its been so long since i have had a real meaningful relationship.
    Have any disabilities or mental health problems?
    no but i am sure people consider me a bit mental. lmao

Feel alone and never really had a friend before?
    to be honest not having friends doesnt make me feel alone.
    i have 3 or so good friends in real life. and i have EC..which at times is better then real life ha

How do you deal with it?
    if im feeling lonely i call my best friend..if she aint busy. or i go to chat and those people can make anyone feel better :]

10. casjerem

casjerem Guest

i know how you feel, and im completely the same way. i yearn for someone to be able to hold me, and spend time with me. i've never been with anyone, and everytime i see romance movies or shows, or even couples, it makes me even yearn more.

11. Stuie

(&&&) Let's have a virtual group hug to make everyone feel better.
    Now that all the hugging is done for the moment, I feel like that at the moment and I think it's fairly normal to have a period like that. I've come out to everyone and now what? I'll probably just wait for something to come along and try to go some meetings of gay youth groups. I think there's one in my area too.

12. kayar

Yeah, I think the faster and the more 'developed' our so called society gets, then the more our burdens of loneliness will increase. We simply can't leave behind that we are social animals! We are told by some very learned people that animals such as gorillas are close relatives. Look at how very social they behave. Always in a group, where one goes they all go. Look at how they groom each other, and in the process affirm their relationships. brothers, sisters, cousins, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.; all interact and perpetuate their group through caring and through physical (but not sexual) contact.

Is that why so many of us feel there's something missing in our lives and wind up feeling lonely?

I don't know but hey, Mitchell, you're not alone. Try to put yourself out there and find your social 'group', and keep talking to us at EC. We're here for you! Take care. X

13. Markio

I just started an Interpersonal Communication class today, and the teacher told us that 1/3 of the population is chronically lonely.

I'm shy and somewhat lonely. I wish that I was stuck with friends most of the time and not my roommates. 9_9

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, yes and yes. I went through school with basically no close friends, and I've cut off contact with people from school but haven't started university yet, so I'm hanging in limbo. I have mobility, hearing and fatigue problems which also make it tough to get out and meet people. The one girl I put all my trust into and gave my whole heart to never gave me anything in return except hurt and confusion, and I've been scared to trust ever since.
    The Internet has been a huge help for me. I've been able to meet and talk to people without worrying that they'll reject me for being disabled, or looking the way I do, or being awkward. I've met some awesome people I don't know if I could have become friends with in real life. Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk (*hug*)

15. Charles Marcus

i know that sounds "easy to say hard to do" BUT just make friends. use every chance to comunicate with other people. Speak and try to be friendly with anyone. FRIENDSHIP is not god gift, it's product of work. and you need to do many things to have friends.

Don't let you sit home if you feel lonely go and COMUNICATE! with everyone. sometimes life is very surprising about places where we find friends. :wink:

16. Trace

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you ever feel really lonely? Yes, actually all the time. Ever since my mom passed away, I felt a voia that kept on growing bigger and bigger, and its killing me.

Have any disabilities or mental health problems? no, not that I'm aware of, unless you count being bipolar.

Feel alone and never really had a friend before? Yes, I just can't seem to open up to people at all anymore. People say they are my friend, but they don't act like it.

How do you deal with it? I try to keep myself busy and always doing something. If I keep busy, I don't really have to think about my life. There a qoute from a song that I can relate to. "When I am alone all of the memories goes racing through my mind, the things that I've said and done, the words I've lost, the dreams I've left behind." I know it doesn't make much sense, but if you think about it, it will. I hope this can help you in some way.