1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to grandparents as trans :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rxley, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Rxley

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello,
    So I'm a transguy and I [plan] on coming out to my family soon-ish. I think most of my family will be ok with it but, my grandparents.
    My grandmother is ok-ish with lgbt people, shes not crazy about them. My main concern is my grandfather. He is quite agressive and is known to say some pretty mean things. For example:
    To my mothers friend: "Don't come crying to me if you get raped" after she mentioned a case in the news about a girl being raped (very sad). He also agreed with Donald Trump when he said all muslims should be banned from America. Ew.
    How should I go about coming out to them? Any advise is much appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Maybe bring up an LGBT article on a newspaper/news TV and then just watch their reaction. If it goes well, you can tell them that you're trans as well.

#2 Secrets5, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  3. Bibliovian

I'm having similar issues! I came out to literally every person on the planet except my Grandmom. I figure she knows (my mom died and she met my partner at the funeral but wasn't introduced officially) but we haven't talked or about it. She's very orthodox catholic like when my cousin committed suicide GM blamed my cousin for her sin. It feels awful. I've been avoiding her like the plague and THAT feels awful.

Best of luck as you venture forth. Truth is they are just going to have deal. I'm sure not going to hide my gf away nor should you change who you are.

4. mlansing

People can surprise you in how they react. You just never know. The only thing to remember is to be respectful and humble in how you deliver the news, but apart from that it's up to them how they choose to deal with it. I once "tested" my dad by telling him that my professor was in a gay relationship with a man, and he started ranting about how the gays want this and the gays want that. Needless to say he failed the test. But then when I told him about myself he was completely understanding and supportive. This may be a weird case, but the point is things like that can happen. Good luck!

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes, when somebody who is close to a person comes out, it can make them rethink their stance on things. It will be tough for a while if this is the case though. Also, I would make sure that you have the support of your parents before coming out to your grandparents. They may be able to help with their reactions. You also want to make sure that you don't hurt your relationship with your parents by coming too quickly.

6. Rxley

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for your advise everyone :slight_smile: