1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That Next Step

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stuie, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Stuie

Well I've came out to most of my friends and now it's on Facebook, so if they didn't know they now can, so where to do I go from here?
    I only have a few gay friends and I'd really like to get to know some more gay people. Thankfully my school is pretty gay friendly, but there's not many people who I know who are gay.
    So yeah, some advice about meeting other gay people... I'm entirely unsure of how to do it. I can hardly ask someone right out if they're gay. If you're straight, that'd be pretty offensive, I'd imagine.

2. casjerem

casjerem Guest

If you want to get to know more gay people, you have to be more social, that's how i did it. When i came out, which wasn't long ago, i didnt know a single gay person. but my counselor told that i should be more social, get to know more people. well i did become more social, and i ended up making some gay friends, and from there, i now know a network of gay people on my campus. so you just have to be more social, talk more, make some new friends, and you'll end up knowing who is who.

3. mcrteenagers

See if your school has a GSA to start. I suggest searching something like "gsa [your city]" on Facebook too. Theres alot of groups on Facebook (locally centered) that would help you out too.

4. Stuie

I know our school doesn't have a GSA and there isn't really a big GSA movement in Australia. Do you think it would be worth starting one? I'll talk to the Student Welfare Coordinator.

5. -Michael-

Congratulations for coming out to everyone. :slight_smile:

I don't really have this problem about knowing gay people.
    I wish I knew less!
    I can't stand them.

But try and form a GSA as said above.
    Or just do nothing.
    Live life how you normally would, you'll meet people eventually.
    You might even have people who come out to you. :wink:

6. Stuie

I do agree. Quite a few of the gay people I've come across are rather obnoxious. Massive drama queens or the kind of people who are so fashionable you feel bad in their presence, especially while wearing last year's production shirt. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Probably the downside of being gay.