1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long did it take you to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nordland, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wondering how long it took people to come out after they realised their sexuality/gender?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well Ive know for almost five years, and starting coming out 2ish years ago. And I'm not even close to being completely out -_-

3. Outboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still havent after all these years. I'm hoping to start the process soon though by giving my brother a coming out letter and await his reaction.

4. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out as lesbian about a month after I realised I liked women. And then I tried coming out as trans, but it didn't work. Now for a second try this year!

5. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I realized that I was actually bi, I came out to my husband right away. But I was married, and it didn't matter for quite some time. Now that we've been separated for more than a year, I've been coming out slowly. The last people I need to tell are my parents, and I'm planning to do that on Sunday. So... technically almost 20 years, but really, just over a year.

6. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Over 15 years, probably. I knew about myself when I was very young, probably 7.

7. guitar

Hard to say, as an adult, about 2 years or so. It took about 2 years to complete the process where I eventually came out to everyone. I've sorta known I was gay since about age 12, but really only started to consider/accept it into my early-mid 20s.

8. Mikelhpc228

Great question,
    When I was in my late teens I was "curious" and got involved with a "Flamboyant gay guy", for a couple of months. I topped/bottomed, & everything else. I still considered myself totally straight at the time. Only dated women since.
    Fast forward-Recently came out to myself NOV 2015. Justnow peering out of the closet (5o+yrs old).
    Havent told my wife, although she has been calling me "G-A-Y" for years!

9. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, it's been about two years since I first came out as bisexual to my friends. I waited until last year to come out to my parents because I honestly didn't see the point unless I ever got a girlfriend. I came out though because they wanted to know why I was investing so much of my time in the GSA if I wasn't gay. They thought I was straight. In those two years, I came across more resources and found out that I'm actually a panromantic asexual. My friends know about it now, and my parents will probably never understand, so I'll keep it at bi for them.

My gender was a fairly recent acceptance for me. I always knew I wasn't a girl, but it wasn't until recently that I put two and two together. My mom's in denial that I'm trans and most of my friends know and are okay with it. Everyone else has no idea.

#9 Athexant, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  10. lovetoomuch

This question is hard for me to answer because there were signs since I was 12, but I was in denial for quite a few years. I accepted I was at least bisexual at 17 years old and I don't think I accepted the fact I was gay until about 6-12 months ago (at 19 years old).

I came out to my parents this past Sunday and started coming out to friends in November 2015. So once I fully accepted myself, it took me a little less than a year to come out.

11. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've known that I was pansexual since about ten years old (2010) but I didn't tell anyone until September 2015, I didn't start questioning my gender until I was fourteen years old and I didn't come out until August 2015 I think (I was fourteen, almost fifteen)

#11 Spot, Jan 13, 2016
  12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to myself 2/2013. I came out to the 1st person (at a PFLAG meeting, so she didn't know me) maybe 5/2013. But as for family and people who know me, it has not happened and no idea when it will. If ever. There are some practical concerns--one good job reference, who is connected to others I know, won't take the news well. Then it seems pointless until/unless I'm in a relationship, and at this point, I question if I'll ever even have a single date, let alone anything lasting...

13. IDont Say Aboot

I finished coming out to myself about a week ago, but I was pretty sure for a month ish. Oddly enough, I came out to two of my friends before I really accepted it myself because it was late at night and I was like "okay how's abouts I tells them now hur hur!". At least I was right... But yeah I started questioning August 2015.so first coming out was like 2 months after I started questioning. I'm so stupid when tired. Probably should have waited until I knew for sure but yeah whatever it worked out fine.

14. AKTodd

From the time I concluded I was gay to the time I told my mom was about 2wks or less. Told pretty much everyone else I knew at the time and openly told whoever else I felt like telling within anywhere from the following month to a year, at a guess.

I went through a phase of telling everyone I had any kind of extended interaction with (new housemates, co-workers, etc.) and then settled down a bit more as life was giving me other things to do with my time.

Todd

15. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    After I realized I liked women as well as men it took me about ten months to come to terms with it and four months after that to come out.

16. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I first started to suspect I was bisexual in 2006, but denied it for a while until finally admitting it to my then-girlfriend in September 2009 and accepting myself as such. I came out to a number of friends over the next year, but didn't tell my parents and my best friend until March 2011.

Started questioning my gender identity in October 2015; haven't reached a decision on that yet.

#16 DRex, Jan 13, 2016
  17. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realized I was gay at 13 or thereabouts; came out when I was 63. So 50 years. Do I win anything?

18. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Took me about 3-4 months and moving away from my family to come out to my parents. Came out publicly on social media in October.

I have the best friends ever.

19. GayPugs

I didn't come out. My parents found it on my social media page. Then they freaked.

20. mlansing

Right before New Year's Eve 2015, I made a deal with myself that I would finally come to peace with my sexuality during that year. At the beginning of the new year I started getting counseling, and about mid-February I broke up with my girlfriend and shortly thereafter started opening up to select friends about my sexuality. In mid-August I began dating a guy for the first time, and that relationship lasted just about two and a half months. By that time basically all of my close friends knew. After the end of the relationship with him I told more friends and even casual acquaintances and some people I had just met. Finally, the last hurdle was telling my parents and grandparents, which I did just a few days shy of New Year's Eve, 2016.

So, even though there are still people who don't know, my sexuality is no longer a secret. I basically went from closeted and in a relationship with a girl to an out-of-the-closet gay man within a one-year time frame. A lot can happen in a year, after all.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2016 at 03:34 PM ----------

Although I had known that I liked guys since I was a kid, so the coming out came waaaaaay after the realization (I'm 32 years old).