1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All of my friends are homophobic?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConnectedToWall, Jan 14, 2016.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't want to come out to most of my friends, because most of them are homophobic. They gossip about the gay kids, and they think homosexuality is a choice. I thought if I stopped hanging out with them, it might be easier to come out. But I just missed them and then eventually started hanging out with them again. But I feel like my time with them is limited. Unless I can convince them not to be homophobic, I'll lose them.
    :help:

2. violagirl89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If they can't accept you for who you are, chances are they weren't really true friends in the first place. I don't think you can convince them to change their opinions on homophobia. Maybe they'll come around later on in life, but for now I would just focus on being true to yourself and finding new positive people to surround yourself with. Perhaps you could join an LGBT club and make new friends who have similar interests?

3. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's good advice, it's just some of my friends who are homophobic, I've known pretty much my whole life. Losing them would be like losing family. And I'm pretty bad at making new friends.